Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple officially announced today that "a team of Apple executives, led by CEO Steve Jobs" would kick off Apple's Worldwide Developer's Conference (WWDC) with a keynote address starting at 10 a.m. on Monday, June 9th.

This year's WWDC will be showcasing both Mac OS X and OS X iPhone:
The five-day WWDC event, which runs from June 9 to June 13, will feature the first ever iPhone track for mobile developers with in-depth sessions and hands-on labs to fully explore the capabilities of the OS X iPhone 2.0 software, including the iPhone SDK and the App Store, a breakthrough way for developers to wirelessly deliver their applications to iPhone and iPod touch users.
Apple is widely expected to introduce a 3G-capable iPhone at this year's WWDC.

Article Link

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Maybe not a mention, but at least a reference.:)

Sounds like Steve will be handing off segments again. It's probably a good idea for Apple to put a few other faces out there to see how they do, and to show investors and media that people other than Mr. Jobs can handle the spotlight okay.

That being said, there's still nothing quite like 100 minutes of pure RDF.:p

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London

Apple officially announced today that "a team of Apple executives, led by CEO Steve Jobs" would kick off Apple's Worldwide Developer's Conference (WWDC) with a keynote address starting at 10 a.m. on Monday, June 9th.

This year's WWDC will be showcasing both Mac OS X and OS X iPhone:
Apple is widely expected to introduce a 3G-capable iPhone at this year's WWDC.

Article Link

Hmm, this makes me think that Stevo will officially announce he is stepping down and Johnny Ive is taking over.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Pretty sure the iphone will come out the same day as last year. Selling all phones out and leaving a month to breath increases demand. Brilliant strategy imo.

aLoC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2006
Probably Steve Jobs will talk for 5 minutes at the beginning and end, with Scott Forstall discussing the iPhone and Bertrand Serlet discussing OS X. Just a guess.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
My attention goes down when Steve walks off the stage. I bet 10.6 will get mentioned. Steve mentioned something like 18 months they plan to have an update come out.

(Looks like the iPhone or Mac Mini won't get updated today)

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
Pretty sure the iphone will come out the same day as last year. Selling all phones out and leaving a month to breath increases demand. Brilliant strategy imo.
It may increase demand, but it would decrease overall sales. It would kill the iPhone's momentum, too. It would be a very poor business strategy to have no sales for a month.

Penguinwrangler

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
Edgewater, NJ
Still don't see it...

I still don't see how they will go more than a month with ZERO iPhone sales, particularly at a time when competitive (at least on price point) phones have just started to get traction in advertising and recognition with consumers. It seems completely detrimental to their brand, let alone their actual quarterly numbers.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

How often has the WWDC keynote been done by several different executives? I know Phil and other have done some things in the past. Just curious.

Pwned

macrumors regular
May 12, 2008
Washington DC
I think 10.6 will definitely get a mention. My hopes are really fading for a pre-WWDC release of the iPhone, the only thing keeping them up is all they talk about is the software aspect of it in the article.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Hmm, this makes me think that Stevo will officially announce he is stepping down and Johnny Ive is taking over.

Have you ever seen a WWDC keynote before? It always has other speakers. Because Jobs doesn't know the technical stuff like they do.

callmemike20

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
USA
We can't rely on Steve for long. What happens when he leaves? If the company has this much reliance on him to pump up consumers, then the moment he leaves the stock will plummet. From there, no one knows where Apple will end up. Sure, I like it better when he does it, but we have to get some new people in there to make sure the company can survive without Steve. Just look at the 90's.

Whtddhesay

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2008
Bluetooth headphones

Because there's some evidence that iPhone firmware 2.0 will have stereo bluetooth, I'd be willing to bet that they will announce their own set of bluetooth headphones. I've always believed that they've been holding back a stereo bluetooth update because they were waiting to release their own hardware to go along with it.

L3X

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2006
Chesapeake, VA
I would not take anything from Steve not giving the entire presentation. He's been calling on other people for a while now. It shows that Apple is more than just him, especially when he calls up execs from google, intel, yahoo, etc.

Remember when the SDK meeting was held, he had multiple people talk about different aspects of the SDK and Active Sync. I'm sure he wants the people actually heading up these projects to fully explain them instead of him just glossing over things and forgetting important details.

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Because there's some evidence that iPhone firmware 2.0 will have stereo bluetooth, I'd be willing to bet that they will announce their own set of bluetooth headphones. I've always believed that they've been holding back a stereo bluetooth update because they were waiting to release their own hardware to go along with it.

WWDC is a 'development' focused event. New consumer-focused product announcements are seen at Macworld.

R-Fly

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
We can't rely on Steve for long. What happens when he leaves? If the company has this much reliance on him to pump up consumers, then the moment he leaves the stock will plummet. From there, no one knows where Apple will end up. Sure, I like it better when he does it, but we have to get some new people in there to make sure the company can survive without Steve. Just look at the 90's.

Jobs has still got a few years left in him, mid-50's is nothing these days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.