Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old May 13, 2008, 02:49 PM   #1
chrisbpoole
macrumors newbie

How do I share photos between accounts???

A very basic question:

Ive 3 user accounts on my iMac but I want to share my photos with all 3 users, how do I do this? I also want to share my iTunes library?

Chris
chrisbpoole is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 03:02 PM   #2
eluk
macrumors 6502a

In System Preferences in the Sharing pane. Check File Sharing and adjust permissions to suit.
MacBook Pro 2.33
eluk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 03:15 PM   #3
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbpoole View Post
A very basic question:

Ive 3 user accounts on my iMac but I want to share my photos with all 3 users, how do I do this? I also want to share my iTunes library?

Chris
Right click the library and choose "get info" down at the bottom you can adjust permisions.
Then in the other two accounts you point iTunes to the third account's library. iPhoto works the same way.
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 04:47 PM   #4
chrisbpoole
macrumors newbie

ok I must be dim...............

On file sharing Ive ticked the share files box & the share CD/DVD box but there is no iTunes or iPhotos box to tick! I cant right click on library in iTunes as it wont highlight.......only the music/movies etc will highlight but then I cant click Get Info for the whole music library.....just individual albums!!!

Im getting frustrated now............help!

Chris
chrisbpoole is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 07:46 PM   #5
kbmb
macrumors 68030

EDIT: Sorry, misread your question. This is how to share libraries across different machines, not accounts.

If all you want is for the other machine to 'see' your libraries, than you can setup sharing in both iPhoto and iTunes. Then launching either apps on the other machines, you need to tell them to look for shared libraries.

This would allow others to 'see' your libraries, but not make changes.

-Kevin

Last edited by kbmb; Jun 19, 2008 at 05:45 AM.
kbmb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 09:28 PM   #6
Roquefort
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
If all you want is for the other machine to 'see' your libraries, than you can setup sharing in both iPhoto and iTunes.
Details:
iTunes: Pick Preferences from the iTunes menu. Click the Sharing tab. Check "Share my library on my local network" and "Share entire library."

iPhoto: Pick Preferences from the iPhoto menu. Click the Sharing tab. Check "Share my photos" and "Share entire library."
Roquefort is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 09:25 PM   #7
ZigZagLens
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
If all you want is for the other machine to 'see' your libraries, than you can setup sharing in both iPhoto and iTunes. Then launching either apps on the other machines, you need to tell them to look for shared libraries.

This would allow others to 'see' your libraries, but not make changes.

-Kevin
His question is how to share the libraries across multiple accounts on the same computer, not how to share them over a LAN.
ZigZagLens is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 09:39 PM   #8
buffalo
macrumors 65816

Can I get a step by step plan on how to get my iTunes library to be the main library for the other two accounts? Note, this is all on the same iMac.

Thanks!
buffalo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 09:42 AM   #9
Doctor Q
Administrator

The How to share an iPhoto Library thread may have what you need.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help