Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisbpoole

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2008
A very basic question:

Ive 3 user accounts on my iMac but I want to share my photos with all 3 users, how do I do this? I also want to share my iTunes library?

Chris

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
A very basic question:

Ive 3 user accounts on my iMac but I want to share my photos with all 3 users, how do I do this? I also want to share my iTunes library?

Chris

Right click the library and choose "get info" down at the bottom you can adjust permisions.
Then in the other two accounts you point iTunes to the third account's library. iPhoto works the same way.

chrisbpoole

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2008
ok I must be dim...............

On file sharing Ive ticked the share files box & the share CD/DVD box but there is no iTunes or iPhotos box to tick! I cant right click on library in iTunes as it wont highlight.......only the music/movies etc will highlight but then I cant click Get Info for the whole music library.....just individual albums!!!

Im getting frustrated now............help!

Chris

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
EDIT: Sorry, misread your question. This is how to share libraries across different machines, not accounts.

If all you want is for the other machine to 'see' your libraries, than you can setup sharing in both iPhoto and iTunes. Then launching either apps on the other machines, you need to tell them to look for shared libraries.

This would allow others to 'see' your libraries, but not make changes.

-Kevin

Roquefort

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005
U.S. west coast
If all you want is for the other machine to 'see' your libraries, than you can setup sharing in both iPhoto and iTunes.
Details:
iTunes: Pick Preferences from the iTunes menu. Click the Sharing tab. Check "Share my library on my local network" and "Share entire library."

iPhoto: Pick Preferences from the iPhoto menu. Click the Sharing tab. Check "Share my photos" and "Share entire library."​

ZigZagLens

macrumors regular
May 16, 2007
If all you want is for the other machine to 'see' your libraries, than you can setup sharing in both iPhoto and iTunes. Then launching either apps on the other machines, you need to tell them to look for shared libraries.

This would allow others to 'see' your libraries, but not make changes.

-Kevin

His question is how to share the libraries across multiple accounts on the same computer, not how to share them over a LAN.

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
Can I get a step by step plan on how to get my iTunes library to be the main library for the other two accounts? Note, this is all on the same iMac.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.