Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old May 13, 2008, 04:34 PM   #1
MaMi
macrumors newbie

Any safety precautions I should take before selling my ibook

I'm planning on selling my ibook since I now have a new macbook. Only used it for school purposes and surfing the web. Is there anything I should do before selling? Is it necessary for me to wipe out my hd so that my personal info isn't in the hands of a stranger? Do I need to buy a special software to do so? Not all that familiar with these kinds of things. Thanks
MaMi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 04:36 PM   #2
jmadlena

If you still have the OS X disc that came with your iBook, I would simply do an Erase and Install. That way you know that there are none of your personal files on there, and they have a fresh copy of the OS. Everybody wins.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 04:40 PM   #3
MaMi
macrumors newbie

^ if i do this will it delete the office mac I have on there? I do not have the discs for office it came with ibook when I got it. Is the process hard to do? Never has to do this before.
MaMi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 04:42 PM   #4
nyquist11
macrumors member

options

There are different ways to do it depending on how worried you are:
a. you just wipe it and reinstall
b. cant remember how; but you can use software and make it basically do a "secure empty trash" type thing for your drive; it like writes over it and deletes it
c. you take the current one out and get a new one to put in
d. you do the above then send your HD to a service that shreds it(dont know why these companies exist)

P.S before you do anything you need to send the logic board to me--mine is dead(please make sure it is G4)
nyquist11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 04:43 PM   #5
oli2140
macrumors 6502

You can also just delete your files and then open up Disk Utility, select you Hard Drive and under the erase tab there is an option to erase free space. This takes a few hours though but does mean that your files cannot be restored

EDIT: Just seen nyquist's post and my post relates to his option 'B'

Last edited by oli2140; May 13, 2008 at 04:44 PM. Reason: previous post
oli2140 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 04:44 PM   #6
MacNut
macrumors P6

Just wipe the drive and reinstall.
Old May 13, 2008, 04:46 PM   #7
jmadlena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaMi View Post
^ if i do this will it delete the office mac I have on there? I do not have the discs for office it came with ibook when I got it. Is the process hard to do? Never has to do this before.
Yes, it will completely erase the harddrive, and put a new copy of Mac OS X on it. So the person you are selling it to will turn it on, and it will look like a bran new computer. And no, it really isn't hard. It does pretty much everything itself.

1. Insert Mac OS X Install Disc (whatever disc your iBook came with)
2. Run "Install Mac OS X"
3. Click Restart
4. Go through a few menus
5. Select Erase and Install
6. Click OK

That's it, IIRC.

But if you don't have the Office discs, this would be a problem, because it would require you (or them) to reinstall it. I'm not sure about how to reinstall but keep office on there.

Maybe someone else knows?
  0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 05:03 PM   #8
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmadlena View Post
But if you don't have the Office discs, this would be a problem, because it would require you (or them) to reinstall it. I'm not sure about how to reinstall but keep office on there.
If you don't have the disks you can't legaly transfer ownership of Office and you should wipe it off the disk. For the most part you can't leave software on the drive onless you intend to transfer the license to the new owner. the safest thing is to wipe the disk claen then install all for software from CD and then package the CDs with the computer.
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs