Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you go wait in line (again) ?

• Not interested in iPhone

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • Not going to wait in line, will purchase a day or more after launch

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • Not going to wait in line, will show up later that night

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • Will wait in line for a few hours

Votes: 32 28.3%
  • Will wait in line all day (or longer)

Votes: 8 7.1%

• Total voters

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
I was one of the folks who waited in line for 9 hours last year. The thing is that Apple seemed to have enough to go around - I even had friends who had bought four phones who then had to sell them for a loss because, unlike the PS3, 360 or the Wii, there were plenty of units in stock to go around and within a week most stores had their stock resupplied.

So I ask you, will you go wait in line again (or for the first time)? I've been thinking about it, and I might go after work but I doubt I'll take the day off.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Last year at 10:00 p.m I walked into the Apple Store, about 3 people infront of me, got my 4GB iPhone and walked out. This time I think I want to go to the 5th Ave Apple Store just for the hell of it, but that would mean bringing a credit card, which is doable.

genshi

macrumors 6502a
I have never waited in line for a product before (other than concert tickets in my youth) but I did wait in line for the iPhone (75th in line at the Pasadena, CA store) just for the experience and community. Glad I did, but I won't do it again. No need to and the experience of being first with the iPhone has already passed.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I've gone to Apple big-release events whether or not I'm making a purchase. I go for the fun atmosphere and to meet Apple fans.

PoitNarf

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2007
Northern NJ
Sadly, I may take another day off of work to wait in line like I did last year on June 29th. But I got some pretty bad sunburn that day, so maybe just 2 or 3 hours in line this time around.

aerospace

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
I'm still not sure if I'll upgrade.

3g is of course a big draw as I surf quite often on my phone, gps is good but I've found googles cell locator to be accurate enough for most situations.

I guess the biggest factor will be cost. I wont be signing a contract so if they subsidize(to make it seem cheaper) I'll likely not upgrade.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
What's another day to this long-awaited iPhone V2 with 3G/4G, Flash, VoiceDial, Word, Excel, BT Stereo, HD LCD, iSolarPanels, 64GB, VoiceRecord, 8.0 Pixel Camera, iVideo, iWebBrow, ATM Machine (Fully Loaded with another person's CASH!). :D:p

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
I'll wait. Here's why:

Last June 29, I was in line for about 8 hours. If I had instead arrived 2 hours after the store opened, I would've been able to just walk in and buy an iPhone. I would've also missed out on:

- meeting my current employer, who was in line behind me that day
- meeting the guys from Panic, who were a few places behind
- having the store staff show me my fingers-crossed-it-works iPhone web app on their iPhones as I walked in (I had told them about it before)

Not that any of this will happen again, but hey, it was a fun time anyway.

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
whoa neven., which web app are you creator of?
that must have been a very lucky day..
i will just order mine off the Apple store

earnjam

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
North Carolina
Last time I strolled up about 20 minutes after they had opened the doors. I was in and out in under 40 minutes. I would expect it to be a little slower this time around, so don't think I need to wait in line.

I'm still waiting to see what it's going to have before making the plunge though. I wonder if there will be any kind of upgrade or trade in options or if it will just be "buy the new one for full price and good luck selling your old one..."

Oh, and zainjetha, Neven made OneTrip. I remember it from the days leading up to the launch. One of if not the first iPhone web app.

LiveForever

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
In Australia we will only have a limited stock as our small population will not justify big stock piles sitting in a distribution centre. So yes, a few hours in a queue is worth it.

Apparently CNN reports the new market size for alll the countries the iphone has been announced in is 500 million.

OK, not everyone of the 500 million people will need a new phone or will buy iphone but its still a vast market and I can see supplies being very limited for the first few months. I just can't see how they can make enough quickly enough to satisfy demand. 10 million won't go that far believe me. Nokia do those sorts of numbers in months. This is a whole new ball game for apple, three times as big as iphone 1.0's market potential.

There are always shortages here of hot products like wii's , PS3's etc and iphone will be a lot lot worse. A couple of Christmasses ago you couldn't get shuffles in Sydney for petes sake.

And a note to the relaxed US guys and girls here, now two thirds of the iphone 2.0 market will be outside the US so don't feel so sure you'll be strolling in and getting one in 10 minutes.

They will most likely stagger the launch as a simulataneous launch is not possible, surely?

On second thoughts, I think I'll start quening now...

citron230

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
San Diego, CA
There should be buying from the online store category. I hate waiting in lines and wont mind the delivery time. I do plan on purchasing the day it is available though.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
waited for maybe 45 minutes last year. after the price drop on the original iphone, i doubt i'll buy it right away unless there are some major differences (i really don't care about 3g).
plus i'm definitely going to wait until it's unlockable. i am pissed i had to sign a 2-year contract with the iphone. i was already a cingular/att customer for the last 3 years, but wasn't on contract and preferred it that way.
so if anything, i'll go into an apple store the next day just to play with it.

Klaxons2012

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
I waited a week to buy mine from the downtown San Francisco Apple Store. This time I plan on going down the day of and getting the iPhone. I wouldn't mind waiting in line to get it either.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
I'm still not sure if I'll upgrade.

3g is of course a big draw as I surf quite often on my phone, gps is good but I've found googles cell locator to be accurate enough for most situations.

I guess the biggest factor will be cost. I wont be signing a contract so if they subsidize(to make it seem cheaper) I'll likely not upgrade.

Same here :confused:

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Line went quickly at the Tysons Corner store. Showed up about 2 hours after launch and waited in line for like 15 minutes. They were checking people out at around 30/time ... really really fast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.