Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slothapotamus

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2008
UK
It's happened twice now. Yesterday and today. I've booted up my MacBook and the iSight camera light (the one on the right) switches on. I was wondering about it yesterday so I went into Photo Booth and no camera view showed at all. So I switched the MacBook off and rebooted. It was fine after that.

Same thing happened today though. This time, instead of switching off, I decided to reboot, but the camera was on during the whole reboot. The only way to turn it off is to switch the MacBook off.

I've only had the MacBook for 6 weeks and, other than 1 dead pixel on the right hand side which I've tried to fix, it's been fine. Any idea what's causing the camera to come on? Could this be an indication of a bigger problem?

forrestmc4

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
Washington, DC
I had a similar problem about a year ago. Just call up Apple or take it in and ask for a replacement. If they give you a hard time talk about the iSight being a key feature and how incredibly important it is that the camera works 100% of the time.

Slothapotamus

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2008
UK
You had to get it replaced? I was hoping not to have to do that. It hasn't happened since those two times, but if it does start happening, and with more frequency then I guess I will have to call for a replacement. Thanks for the info though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.