Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Fortune's Apple 2.0 blog notes that Intel has now denied the statements published by ZDnet.de yesterday. Specifically, they claim that the Intel Germany's CEO was making general remarks about the kind of mobile devices that the Atom might power in the future. They go on to claim they know "nothing" about future products from other manufacturers. Fscklog also contacted an Intel Germany spokesperson who also states that this statement never happened.

The confusion, however, is not one of poor German-to-English translation, as the original ZDnet article clearly stated what was reported. ZDNet's original article is now linking to another account of the events. PCGamesHardware.de confirms statements like these were made, though without direct quotes the exact interpretation of it remains up for debate (translated by Leo from Fscklog):
PCGH-Editor Daniel Waadt was there as well an can attest, that Schwaderer referred to the iPhone as an example for the use of the atom-processor from Intel. The Intel CEO mentioned furthermore, that the display on iPhone 2 would be bigger than on iPhone 1 (although it is already quite big). iPhone 2 is also thinner than iPhone 1.

Article Link

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
On the one hand you would think that there would be more reports about it if it was stated as originally reported to the press.

On the other, saying the iPhone 2 would be bigger and thinner than the current iPhone is awful specific for something they claim to have no knowledge about.

arn

antielectrons

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2008
On the one hand you would think that there would be more reports about it if it was stated as originally reported to the press.

On the other, saying the iPhone 2 would be bigger and thinner than the current iPhone is awful specific for something they claim to have no knowledge about.

arn

Sounds to me like a lot of folks have jumpted to conculsions based on no evidence. Saying a hypothetical device would have such and such a feature or size is different froms saying that Apple will introduce one.

Anyway, it makes no sense at all to launch such a device so near to the 3G iPhone.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007

arn

My thoughts exactly. I'd take it back too if Apple legal came down on me.

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
Sounds like someone in Germany is trying to preserve their job from the iNinjas :p.

Tattoo

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2005
Miami, Florida
Back Peddling?

Sounds more like Apple got pissed off at Intel for a possible leak of a future product. Remember all eyes are on Apple! Everyone is chomping at the bit waiting for Apple's next move to try and copy! :D

Merkuryy

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2007
Shanghai, China
Anyway, it makes no sense at all to launch such a device so near to the 3G iPhone.

Why not, iPhone now isn't really a PDA, there is still market for a Newton Device. But maybe it's why AAPL bought this chip company recently----- they don't want to be hang by Intel. Being dedicated by another company is not what AAPL like

antielectrons

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2008
Given how Apple kept the original iPhone so secret even from its own staff I highly double some Intel Exec in Germany will have any information at all about a forthcomming Apple product.

Why not, iPhone now isn't really a PDA, there is still market for a Newton Device. But maybe it's why AAPL bought this chip company recently----- they don't want to be hang by Intel. Being dedicated by another company is not what AAPL like

Why not? How about because it makes terrible marketing sense to launch two major new devices at the same time? If Apple were going to do it then they woulds surely do it when the spotlght wasnt half shinning elsewhere...

dlastmango

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2004
West Coast - FLORIDA
Given how Apple kept the original iPhone so secret even from its own staff I highly double some Intel Exec in Germany will have any information at all about a forthcomming Apple product.

Maybe this is why Apple acquired that chip company. Steve doesn't like having outsiders knowing details of upcoming products. he knew this would happen sooner than later.

antielectrons

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2008
Maybe this is why Apple acquired that chip company. Steve doesn't like having outsiders knowing details of upcoming products. he knew this would happen sooner than later.

I don't know, do Apple own their other suppliers in China? Seems to be no problem with confidentiality there.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My thoughts exactly. I'd take it back too if Apple legal came down on me.

Especially if it was Grace Park. And especially if there were hundreds of her!

Yeah! They'd show up naked at the door. And start talking about how there was no such statement, while doing naked Tai Chi and Ballet.

Hundreds!! :D

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i knew this would happen. so this means its one of two things

1. a misunderstanding, which seems likely
2. apple covering up, unlikely.

the reason i think its genuinely a misunderstanding is that i don't know that individual would have access to that sort of information, and was probably more speculating or using an example more than anything.

uMac

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
Canada
Macbook Air vs. Macbook Tablet... oh wait...

I don't know what Apple is up too, but I would think it funny if they came out with another portable device so soon after the MacBook Air which made it obsolete.

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
Spain
Alot of people only believe what suits them, even when the obvious is smacking them in the face. Oh well, it takes all sorts.

jonnylink

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
I don't think any of this means anything significant. We are in the dark, totally. Could be true, just as easy as it could be false. It's all just pointless guess work. Your time would be better spent trying to divine winning lotto numbers.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Meanwhile, midnight oil is being burned around the world to create knockoffs...

Yes, but certainly not based on this story. But how do you create a "knockoff" of something that doesn't exist - that sounds like innovation to me.

Intel has been talking about Atom and mobile internet devices (MIDs) / ultra-mobile PCs (UMPCs)for a long time.

See http://www.intel.com/products/mid/index.htm

Atom-based motherboard
esec_8.jpg

Intel Atom chip makes strong showing at Japan conference

When Apple's Newton ][ ships it will just be one of many MIDs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.