Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old May 15, 2008, 01:38 PM   #1
JasonS4
macrumors member

Want to Upgrade Ram on Powerbook g4 1.5

I know this has been discussed probably a few hundred times but I am not finding my answer in the search archives.

I have a 1.5 powerbook 15" g4. with 1.5g of ram. I want to upgrade this.

What is the maximum ram I can put in this machine?

I called macmall.com and they only offer a 1gb stick. I took my cover off the back of my powerbook and I have a 1.5 stick inside of it. Plus the built in (I am assuming that the 512mb is built in, Correct?) then why is it only saying 1.5 gb of Ram?

What do I need and where on Macmall can I find larger ram for this notebook.

Thanks in advance and also I did try to search I just could not find the answer I was looking for.

Here is what I am working with.
JasonS4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 01:40 PM   #2
bartelby
macrumors Core

2 x 1GB sticks to the max.

The 15" didn't have any built in ram.
bartelby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 01:43 PM   #3
CanadaRAM
macrumors G5

Welcome to MR Have a look under the Guides tab at the top of the window

Guides : Hardware : Buying RAM

Many commonly-asked questions are answered here.
Old May 15, 2008, 01:45 PM   #4
JasonS4
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartelby View Post
2 x 1GB sticks to the max.

The 15" didn't have any built in ram.
I just took the bottom off. It only looks like I have one slot for ram? is there one underneath that one?
Old May 15, 2008, 01:51 PM   #5
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS4 View Post
I just took the bottom off. It only looks like I have one slot for ram? is there one underneath that one?
Yes there is. Two 1 gig sticks is the highest you can go.
tdhurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 01:58 PM   #6
JasonS4
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleretailguy View Post
Yes there is. Two 1 gig sticks is the highest you can go.
Thank you! I just didn't want to start pulling things apart.
Old May 15, 2008, 02:12 PM   #7
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Yep

Quote:
Thank you! I just didn't want to start pulling things apart.
It's really easy. Once you get the first stick out, you'll see the second. Takes longer to get the external door and screws off than it does to swap the ram.
Old May 15, 2008, 03:49 PM   #8
JasonS4
macrumors member

Quote:
It's really easy. Once you get the first stick out, you'll see the second. Takes longer to get the external door and screws off than it does to swap the ram.
What will happen if I use the 1.5 in the machine and just add a 1g? Or am I playing with fire or is this a stupid question?

Thanks!
Old May 15, 2008, 03:55 PM   #9
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

:)

Quote:
What will happen if I use the 1.5 in the machine and just add a 1g? Or am I playing with fire or is this a stupid question?

Thanks!
I'm going to assume that you know that ram comes in chip sizes of 128, 256, 512, 1 gig, two gigs and four gigs currently.

If you can find a way to somehow add a one gig chip to a computer with two ram slots (that already have chips in both), then I would like to work with you as the greatest scientist of the modern era.

Sarcasm aside, just pull the 512 chip out and replace it with one gig chip. That way you'll have your two gigs.
Old May 15, 2008, 04:23 PM   #10
JasonS4
macrumors member

Quote:
I'm going to assume that you know that ram comes in chip sizes of 128, 256, 512, 1 gig, two gigs and four gigs currently.

If you can find a way to somehow add a one gig chip to a computer with two ram slots (that already have chips in both), then I would like to work with you as the greatest scientist of the modern era.

Sarcasm aside, just pull the 512 chip out and replace it with one gig chip. That way you'll have your two gigs.
Ok, I know i must be driving you nuts but my ram says 1.5 on it that is in the machine right now.

so I just add a 512 and I am all gravy?

Thanks for your patience.
Old May 15, 2008, 04:35 PM   #11
atluten
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Ok, I know i must be driving you nuts but my ram says 1.5 on it that is in the machine right now.

so I just add a 512 and I am all gravy?

Thanks for your patience.
I'll chime in and try to help. So your current setup has two sticks of RAM, one stick that is 1 GB and another that is 512 MB, for a total of 1.5 GB. The maximum amount you can put in is a total of 2 GB, which is comprised of two 1 GB sticks. You already have a 1 GB stick, so in order to max out you'll need to purchase a 1 GB stick and replace the 512 MB stick you already have installed with the 1 GB stick. After all is said and done, your setup should have two sticks of 1 GB. Cheers.
atluten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 04:48 PM   #12
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by atluten View Post
I'll chime in and try to help. So your current setup has two sticks of RAM, one stick that is 1 GB and another that is 512 MB, for a total of 1.5 GB. The maximum amount you can put in is a total of 2 GB, which is comprised of two 1 GB sticks. You already have a 1 GB stick, so in order to max out you'll need to purchase a 1 GB stick and replace the 512 MB stick you already have installed with the 1 GB stick. After all is said and done, your setup should have two sticks of 1 GB. Cheers.
Exactly. What he said.
Old May 15, 2008, 06:49 PM   #13
PowerBookRelic
macrumors 6502

The slot that you couldn't see well, under the first slot, has a stick of RAM in it. Go back into your system profiler, and instead of looking at the general hardware info, click memory. Once you do this, it will tell you how much RAM is in which slot. Like everyone has said, and I know from having one, this PB will only take 2x1GB.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs