Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JasonS4

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
I know this has been discussed probably a few hundred times but I am not finding my answer in the search archives.

I have a 1.5 powerbook 15" g4. with 1.5g of ram. I want to upgrade this.

What is the maximum ram I can put in this machine?

I called macmall.com and they only offer a 1gb stick. I took my cover off the back of my powerbook and I have a 1.5 stick inside of it. Plus the built in (I am assuming that the 512mb is built in, Correct?) then why is it only saying 1.5 gb of Ram?

What do I need and where on Macmall can I find larger ram for this notebook.

Thanks in advance and also I did try to search I just could not find the answer I was looking for.

Here is what I am working with.
2vdiuz7.png

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yep

Thank you! I just didn't want to start pulling things apart.

It's really easy. Once you get the first stick out, you'll see the second. Takes longer to get the external door and screws off than it does to swap the ram.

JasonS4

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
It's really easy. Once you get the first stick out, you'll see the second. Takes longer to get the external door and screws off than it does to swap the ram.

What will happen if I use the 1.5 in the machine and just add a 1g? Or am I playing with fire or is this a stupid question?

Thanks!

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
:)

What will happen if I use the 1.5 in the machine and just add a 1g? Or am I playing with fire or is this a stupid question?

Thanks!

I'm going to assume that you know that ram comes in chip sizes of 128, 256, 512, 1 gig, two gigs and four gigs currently.

If you can find a way to somehow add a one gig chip to a computer with two ram slots (that already have chips in both), then I would like to work with you as the greatest scientist of the modern era.

;)

Sarcasm aside, just pull the 512 chip out and replace it with one gig chip. That way you'll have your two gigs.

JasonS4

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
I'm going to assume that you know that ram comes in chip sizes of 128, 256, 512, 1 gig, two gigs and four gigs currently.

If you can find a way to somehow add a one gig chip to a computer with two ram slots (that already have chips in both), then I would like to work with you as the greatest scientist of the modern era.

;)

Sarcasm aside, just pull the 512 chip out and replace it with one gig chip. That way you'll have your two gigs.

Ok, I know i must be driving you nuts but my ram says 1.5 on it that is in the machine right now.

so I just add a 512 and I am all gravy?

Thanks for your patience.

atluten

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2008
Ok, I know i must be driving you nuts but my ram says 1.5 on it that is in the machine right now.

so I just add a 512 and I am all gravy?

Thanks for your patience.

I'll chime in and try to help. So your current setup has two sticks of RAM, one stick that is 1 GB and another that is 512 MB, for a total of 1.5 GB. The maximum amount you can put in is a total of 2 GB, which is comprised of two 1 GB sticks. You already have a 1 GB stick, so in order to max out you'll need to purchase a 1 GB stick and replace the 512 MB stick you already have installed with the 1 GB stick. After all is said and done, your setup should have two sticks of 1 GB. Cheers.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yes...

I'll chime in and try to help. So your current setup has two sticks of RAM, one stick that is 1 GB and another that is 512 MB, for a total of 1.5 GB. The maximum amount you can put in is a total of 2 GB, which is comprised of two 1 GB sticks. You already have a 1 GB stick, so in order to max out you'll need to purchase a 1 GB stick and replace the 512 MB stick you already have installed with the 1 GB stick. After all is said and done, your setup should have two sticks of 1 GB. Cheers.

Exactly. What he said.

PowerBookRelic

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2008
The slot that you couldn't see well, under the first slot, has a stick of RAM in it. Go back into your system profiler, and instead of looking at the general hardware info, click memory. Once you do this, it will tell you how much RAM is in which slot. Like everyone has said, and I know from having one, this PB will only take 2x1GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.