Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ajmbc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2003
Louisiana
Is it worth fixing the screen on a broken Macintosh SE (no superdrive, 20mb hard drive)? I turn it on and I hear popping sounds, from the glass of the back of the broken CRT on the motherboard- I quickly shut it off.

Thanks for all of your help,
-Ajmbc

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
i think it's time for an upgrade.

if it holds special sentimental value to you, or you use it for some dedicated task (i've seen them as recipe stations in kitchens, etc), it should be very easy to repair. opening it is the most difficult part, you need an extra long torx wrench, i think #8. there's a kit called a mac cracker that includes this and a part to pry the shell apart. be VERY careful of the capacitor on the back of the monitor, it can make you very dead very quickly if you touch it. anyhoo, you could buy parts or even a fully functional SE on ebay, then start swapping things out. but then you might as well use the functional SE, again unless there's sentimental value.

pnw

grafikat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2003
you could contact any of these vendors at lowendmac.com for help locating a new crt.

I have a nice collection from the original "portable" through my old clone. (and a macquarium, too!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.