Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gsfgf

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
I really need faxing capabilities, but I don't want to pay $25 a month for a land line. Is there a way to hook up a fax machine to the iPhone? Before y'all say to just send emails, let me remind you that people often want real faxes since you can send legal documents via fax. PDFs don't meet this requirement. Also, it's way easier for the person on the other end to receive a a real fax than a PDF that needs to be printed. I saw that eFax site, but the magic smoke must have come out of my scanner at some point, so i would still need to buy a device and a traditional fax will work way better. Plus, it appears that the free eFax account won't allow me to send faxes, which is more critical than being able to receive them.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Do you know of any cell phone that allow you to send a fax? I doubt it.

You can tether your iPhone to your computer and send efax.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
I have used myfax.com and ringcentral to send faxes from my cpu, you can EASILY do that through your phone too because of it's email capabilities.You would just have to prepare the documents on the computer.. if its signatures you need to fax, then you might have an issue because you would need to scan it into your cpu.

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
break it down, if you could use ur computer as a fax machine and then tether the data using iPhone, is there an app which will let you do this?

if your fax machine has a scanner you can sscan and send the documents.

cdownton

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
You ain't got no alibi

Your iPhone is gonna look really ugly if you connect a fax machine to it.

There are a ton of fax services that will send you faxes as pdf's to your email. Just google. HEre's one https://www.efax.com/

UK people get this free because these companies can make money from 'national rate' phone numbers. YAC was one.

jeepney

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2010
ifax

you would think with Steve jobs infinite wizzdom and the all the bluetooth and wifi devices he would include faxing in the Iphone , itouch and ipad

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
At my old job we had a fax line that went to an email address, and feel like you should be able to do the reverse. It was set up before I got there, so I'm not sure how it works, but it may be something to check out.

rrandyy

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2009
It's just beeps and warbles. It shouldn't matter to the machine on the other end.

It does matter because cell phones use a vocoder. It doesnt send audio as plain audio. Instead, it uses algorithms to remove changes in the audio that individuals would not normally hear, or that is not important to them. As a result, fax signals would become distorted.

This is the same reason VOIP companies such as vonage usually don't support fax machines, or charge extra for fax services because they can't compress the audio as much.

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
Interesting how 7on mentions my fax dot com in his post reply, and that ad appeared at the bottom of the thread. Very "Minority Report"-like.

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
There's a scanner app that does a great job of capturing the document images called JotNot. I use it to scan my work expenses instead of having to use my big scanner. Maybe use that then upload the document to http://www.myfax.com? I've never tried it but it's a start...

rifusw

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2011
fax from iPhone

I use a website designed for mobile phones and PDAs. You just connect to Internet from the iPhone and send or receive faxes online, a small fee is required, but it's nothing compared to a land line.
http://m.popfax.com/

yespi

macrumors member
May 28, 2007
Try http://www.faxaway.com you get unlimited incoming faxes for just $1 a month and outgoing for just pennies a min.

I use this all the time I take a picture with my phone and I convert it to a PDF with a free iPhone app than I send it as an email attachment to the desired fax# only the attached file will be sent.

For an example if I want to fax a document to 1-555-555-1212 I send a email with the attached document to 15555551212@fax2.faxaway.com and within a min I get a confirmation email.

the.sheepdog

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2009
Central FL
I don't want to fax from my IP4 but I might want it to connect to the car and use 3G to drive me places instead of using gasoline!

and while we are at it can IP4 control my ac in the house? Who needs a digital thermostat!

and I want IP4 to wash my clothing too and do the dishes!

No more silly than wanting to fax from a cell phone!

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
search Fax or in the App stores there are tons of Apps programs that allow you to send and receive fax's I bet one will at least get you by. Also google produced allot of hits. though none let you plug your fax machine into a iphone. personally I want to hook up my 8 track player, still looking for that one.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I don't want to fax from my IP4 but I might want it to connect to the car and use 3G to drive me places instead of using gasoline!

and while we are at it can IP4 control my ac in the house? Who needs a digital thermostat!

and I want IP4 to wash my clothing too and do the dishes!

No more silly than wanting to fax from a cell phone!

What are you going on about? Considering you can get full house controls on your phone if you have the right system in place... It would be more like asking your MBP to accept floppy discs.

Jay23

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2012
yea

Do you know of any cell phone that allow you to send a fax? I doubt it.

You can tether your iPhone to your computer and send efax.

well I had my 4s for quite a while, the way I did it... I sent fax's by connecting my blackberry 8900 through blue tooth to my laptop and sent fax's that way.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Don't hate on the OP. People probably laughed at this once:
Camera-Phone-flight-of-the-conchords-1118337_300_300.jpg

OP, eFax or similar is really a great option. I use one for work and it's flawless.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Can I hook up a VCR to my iPhone?:D

:D In the OP's defense, there are still some government offices and educational institutions that will not accept a scanned document attached as a PDF via email. You can call them and tell them how stupid that is and demand they accept it, but you'll get nowhere -- which means your other alternative is sending a form via snail mail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.