Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old May 17, 2008, 01:34 PM   #1
fivepoint
Banned

I lost some iTunes playlists. Can my iPod help me?

Well, apparently my wife accidentally deleted a whole folder of playlists from my computer. The music files are still in-tact in the 'music library' but the playlists themselves are gone. It took me so much time to create them, so I was obviously upset. Unfortunately, I didn't notice until AFTER I had synced my iPhone, but luckily I pulled out my iPod which I hadn't used in a while and found that the iPod still had those playlists in-tact.

So, my question is this... is there any way to get the playlist data off of the iPod and recreate the playlists on the computer?

If anyone has a suggestion, I would be VERY thankful! Thanks so much.

Does anyone have an idea on this? Thanks!

Last edited by Mitthrawnuruodo; May 18, 2008 at 12:25 PM. Reason: No bumping!
fivepoint is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2008, 12:00 AM   #2
Ryon
macrumors member

I don't have my iPod or its home computer handy to test this, but I think it should work.

First, open iTunes. Then, while holding down the Command and Option keys, plug in your iPod. Keep holding Cmd+Opt until your iPod appears in the iTunes source list. This, according to Apple's documentation, will prevent it from automatically syncing.

Once it's in your source list, you can peruse the playlists on your iPod by clicking the disclosure triangle next to its name. With some careful dragging-and-dropping you should be able to duplicate those playlists in your iTunes library. This is what I'm not sure about, however; it may not let you drag anything out of the iPod onto your computer, for fear of OMG PIRACY. If worse comes to worst you should at least be able to take screenshots of the playlists and then recreate them by hand. :-/

I just though of another option if iTunes doesn't help: you could turn each of your playlists into an On-the-Go playlist, which will allow them to sync back to the home computer. On your iPod's Playlists screen, scroll to one that you would like to sync back and hold the center button on its name until it blinks. Now you will have an identical On-the-Go playlist at the bottom of the menu. Choose it and then choose "Save Playlist." Lather, rinse, and repeat with each of the playlists you'd like to save, and you should have a set of playlists called "On-the-Go 1, 2, etc." Sync your iPod with your computer and they will show up in your source list, where you can rename them to whatever you want.

Good luck! I'd love to hear how it works out for you.

Last edited by Ryon; May 18, 2008 at 12:02 AM. Reason: spelling
Ryon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2008, 10:44 AM   #3
pkorisa
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepoint View Post
Well, apparently my wife accidentally deleted a whole folder of playlists from my computer. The music files are still in-tact in the 'music library' but the playlists themselves are gone.
Gosh, I am fairly new with iPod and iTunes, and I can't even locate where iTunes stores the Playlists. Some one had told me that iTunes does not even store the Playlists separately! I sure would appreciate if you can tell me what folder your wife deleted so I can locate them. I am trying to make them available to another music server and music player in a wireless environment, but so far I have no luck.

Thank you.

PKM
pkorisa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2008, 12:15 PM   #4
alphaod
macrumors Core

I just manually redo all my playlists...

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod