Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cake57

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2008
Anyone have an itouch still work after being submerged in water while powered on?

cwheatley

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2007
stillwater, ok
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

What's an itouch?

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
Sorry BUT....TIME TO BUY A NEW ONE.

Thanks for your constructive and informative advice!

To the OP:

Let it dry for a couple of days, preferably with the bottom port pointing up as to allow the vapour to move out of the iPod. Or you could put it in a bowl of rice, which will draw the water out.

Don't rush to conclusions, and definitely don't listen to efedor yet.

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
Have hope! My dad's iphone survived being submerged in under a meter of water for 1+ min. The thing I suggest is to get a de-humidifier and run it at full blast in a small room with the ipod in it. Worked for me.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
Let it dry out for a few days, don't touch it or try to turn it on for at least 3 days, probably 5. The dehumidifier idea is a good one, too. There will probably be some parts that don't work (possibly wifi or accelerometer), but the device may recover to a partially working condition.

davidy

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
I've had success reviving a dead cell phone that was soaked by putting it in an oven with only the pilot light heating it for 1 hour, then using a hair drier on low temp about a foot away for about another hour. After that, letting it sit for a day in the sun (it was last summer) and it started working again like normal.

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2008
I've had success reviving a dead cell phone that was soaked by putting it in an oven with only the pilot light heating it for 1 hour, then using a hair drier on low temp about a foot away for about another hour. After that, letting it sit for a day in the sun (it was last summer) and it started working again like normal.

even hough his idea seemed to work apple specificaly say "do not try to blow dry you ipod if submerged in water" personaly i would try the dehumidifier(sp?) or simply letting it dry out

David G.

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Alaska
I may be a little late in replying to this thread but if anyone pulls it up again put it in a Tupperware like container with dry white rice. I have once fixed my cell phone with this method.

kleo

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2008
i have a fat nano that fell into a drinking glass full of water that still works. I turned it right off and let it dry out for a few days and it works as good as new. Maybe i got lucky but i dont see why a Touch wouldnt perform as well under a similar situation.

dagored

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Florida
After it dries out for a few days it could possibly work, but in a few months, I think the pool water and chemicals will start corroding the parts inside. However, you have nothing to lose at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.