Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Icarus73

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
So my friend and I are soon going to be roommates in minneapolis going to school for music production and recording. He has a PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz with 5 gigs of ram (4x1gb + 4x256mb). I will soon have the new alum imac 2.8ghz C2D with 4 gigs of RAM.

I dont know much about what dual processors does for you, or how intel chips match up to ppc chips, but which setup would you rather have. (assume no upgrades are done to any system at anytime. only the specs given.)

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Depends entirely on the software you are running.

If you are trying to run vintage OSX software that has to run under Rosetta, the G5 will spank the iMac. Of course, the intel iMac won't run Classic and OS9 programs at all.

But for most programs that are Intel native, including the iApps and Adobe CS3, the iMac is going to win pulling away.

For a few programs like ProTools, it's no contest because they are not compatible yet with 10.5 so the iMac is high and dry

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Depends entirely on the software you are running.

If you are trying to run vintage OSX software that has to run under Rosetta, the G5 will spank the iMac. Of course, the intel iMac won't run Classic and OS9 programs at all.

But for most programs that are Intel native, including the iApps and Adobe CS3, the iMac is going to win pulling away.

For a few programs like ProTools, it's no contest because they are not compatible yet with 10.5 so the iMac is high and dry

The current verion of ProTools is compatible with 10.5.1 on the Mac Pro, not sure on the other machines - digidesign has more info Here.

The iMac will spank the PowerMac in most things, especially if it's Intel native. Hell, for Intel native stuff my MacBook would beat most PowerMacs...

Icarus73

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
alright, sounding good for me so far.

Aside from Safari, iWork, iLife occasionally and other basics, the only pro app we'll be running is Pro Tools. (perhaps Logic or garageband here and there.) So I'm glad mine shouldn't disappoint.

We did a session on Pro Tools with his setup today. Flawless. I loved it. I was afraid he'd have a huge advantage with 5gb of RAM vs. my 4gb. Apparently not though.

Oh, and pro tools le is supposed to be compatible with leopard in the iMac in just a month or two, so that's not really a concern for me. Some users have even reported it working for them without any compatibility update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.