Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davekatya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2006
I'm involved in a project this July where we need to provide 24 hour streaming video from multiple cameras in one house. The project lasts for one month.

I've investigated many different ways of streaming video, but have concluded the simplest and best way is to use justin.tv accounts for each camera. I've already experimented and can stream video & audio from at least 3 webcams (2 usb and 1 isight) from one iMac and it works great.

But for the project I was hoping to purchase a couple of mac minis, and run at least 2 usb webcams off each mac mini. Now in theory I'd like the mac minis to be wirelessly networked, this will mean minimal wiring in the house, and they take up less space. So here is my question:

Will a mac mini be able to cope with such a task? (2 video/audio streams from 2 usb webcams streamed using wifi to router)

I'm not too sure what the key things are here, if it is processor speed or RAM or something else. Will upgrading to 2GB RAM make any difference? Obviously ethernet connection would be faster, but will wifi 'g' standard on the Minis be sufficent?

I know Mac Minis may (or may not) be updated soon, I'll have to buy by end of June in time for project, so I'm looking for advice on existing range, not on any future updates that may or may not come!

Thanks for your time!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.