Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foxile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
I just bought my Airport Extreme with the idea of connecting my iMac, PS3 and XBox 360 to an existing wireless network.

I go through the auto setup, but the Airport Utility is asking if I'd like to either:

Connect to the internet using Ethernet or replace an existing network device.

I don't want to either, just connect the three devices to the LAN ports, then use the wireless to connect to an existing network.

I'm assured it should work, but for the life of me, I can't get it to. I can connect to the network, using the built in iMac airport crad, so I know the wireless network is okay, but for some reason I just can't get the Extreme to connect to it.

Any suggestions, please ?

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
Perhaps I may not be grasping the question correctly but, if you connect the Airport Extreme base station by Ethernet cable to your existing router and then connect your other devices into the Airport Extreme.

Foxile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
Perhaps I may not be grasping the question correctly but, if you connect the Airport Extreme base station by Ethernet cable to your existing router and then connect your other devices into the Airport Extreme.

The problem is my existing wireless router is some distance from the Airport Extreme, so an ethernet cable connection to the WAN port is out of the question.

The only way I can do it, is to connect to the wireless network with the Airport Extreme, then use the LAN ports to feed the three devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.