Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old May 19, 2008, 04:18 PM   #1
Ben1l
macrumors regular

Strange noise coming from headphone port on Macbook Pro

Hi all

I have recently bought a brand new Macbook Pro 2.4gh Intel Core 2 Duo, and was browsing through my iTunes looking for something to play... I had plugged into the headphone jack my pair of BOSE around-ear headphones and could hear a strange noise that sounded like electrical interference. I can only hear it when nothing is playing through the headphones, like the situation I mentioned above. And i know it is a problem exclusive to the MBP as it does not happen on my iMac, iPhone, iPod ect.... any ideas what may be causing it, of how to get it to stop....?

Thanks
Ben1l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 06:18 PM   #2
Exist2Inspire
macrumors member

Is it plugged in all the way? I get a buzzing sound on my speakers when they aren't properly plugged in.
Exist2Inspire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 10:28 PM   #3
catachip
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben1l View Post
Hi all

I have recently bought a brand new Macbook Pro 2.4gh Intel Core 2 Duo, and was browsing through my iTunes looking for something to play... I had plugged into the headphone jack my pair of BOSE around-ear headphones and could hear a strange noise that sounded like electrical interference. I can only hear it when nothing is playing through the headphones, like the situation I mentioned above. And i know it is a problem exclusive to the MBP as it does not happen on my iMac, iPhone, iPod ect.... any ideas what may be causing it, of how to get it to stop....?

Thanks
Hey. I have the exact same system. What you're experiencing has occurred to myself and countless other SR MacBook Pro users. The audio system was not properly designed/shielded and is thus prone to interference from other electronic devices etc. I actually caught (no joke) faint short wave radio signals through my headphones while plugged into the MacBook Pro.

Unfortunately, the high Apple build quality was not applied to the audio system. There is no fix, aside from using higher impedance headphones, they filter out some of the interference.
catachip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2008, 06:12 AM   #4
Ben1l
macrumors regular

That is crap!! this is really annoying me... what do apple say when people call them about it?

do they not get partial refunds or anything?
Ben1l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2008, 08:25 AM   #5
S600MBUSA
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catachip View Post
Hey. I have the exact same system. What you're experiencing has occurred to myself and countless other SR MacBook Pro users. The audio system was not properly designed/shielded and is thus prone to interference from other electronic devices etc. I actually caught (no joke) faint short wave radio signals through my headphones while plugged into the MacBook Pro.

Unfortunately, the high Apple build quality was not applied to the audio system. There is no fix, aside from using higher impedance headphones, they filter out some of the interference.
Well, one can also use a Digital to Analog Converter connected to the USB or optical (headphone) port. Plug the headphones into the DAC, and you should receive a clean, proper signal.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help