Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrweirdo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
I've been looking at the apple tv online lately being very tempted to order one however I have a few questions about it. It also seems that no one sells the thing except for apple stores themselves so I haven't seen it in person.

I have a lot of self captured episodes of tv shows(ex: familyguy, simpsons, south park, etc)in H.264 format on Hard Drive hooked to my mac. All these shows are 4x3 as well. Does the apple tv automatically stretch the content to 16:9 to fit the widescreen tv? I have a panasonic 32" lcd and would hate for the shows to get stretched like iTunes does on my iPod Touch.

The other question is because my tv is a 1080i set it has a native resolution of 1366 x 768 and wont accept anything else as it will not fill the screen properly otherwise. Does anyone know if the appletv supports it?

Thanks I hope to join the mass :apple: tv users shortly ;)

mikenike192

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2008
first of all an apple tv is an amazing product i use it every day. To answer your first question it does not stretch the your picture all my scrubs episodes are 4:3 and it doesnt stretch. But for your second question I really have no idea, sorry.

Also just buy a refurbed 40gb one and stream everything over your network it works great on my wireless g network

chuckles:)

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2006
CANADA
it has a 1080i output setting, which should work fine. the video content will only be 720p, but it will still fill the screen and look great.

mrweirdo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
thanks for the responses. Right now my plan is to indeed get the 40gb and stream content over my Gigabit wired lan to the device so I don't need the extra space ;) I was tempted at one point to build my own mythtv htpc box but with some many unknowns in hardware/software compatibility it makes the apple tv the perfect choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.