Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old May 20, 2008, 09:29 AM   #1
occamsrazor
macrumors 6502

Upgrade PPC G4 Mini to Gigabit ethernet, how?

Hi,

I have a PowerPC G4 Mac mini 1.42Ghz in use as a file server, amongst other things. I have a 500GB firewire drive attached. It's not the most powerful machine but it does fine.

The only thing that's annoying me is whilst the rest of my networked machines are Gigabit (Quicksilver G4, Windows laptop, NAS Drive), the Mac Mini is only 100MB ethernet, and when moving multi-GB files which I do a lot, it's annoying.

I know about TCP/IP-over-Firewire but that only works to one machine, and you need a separate firewire card to that used for connecting other devices (e.g. hard drives), so that's not really an option for me.

I've seen there's some USB 2.0 to Gigabit adapters on the market with varying degrees of Mac support, but often driver problems too.

Does anyone have a viable solution?

Thanks,

Ben
occamsrazor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2008, 10:28 AM   #2
Anaxarxes
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by occamsrazor View Post
Hi,

I have a PowerPC G4 Mac mini 1.42Ghz in use as a file server, amongst other things. I have a 500GB firewire drive attached. It's not the most powerful machine but it does fine.

The only thing that's annoying me is whilst the rest of my networked machines are Gigabit (Quicksilver G4, Windows laptop, NAS Drive), the Mac Mini is only 100MB ethernet, and when moving multi-GB files which I do a lot, it's annoying.

I know about TCP/IP-over-Firewire but that only works to one machine, and you need a separate firewire card to that used for connecting other devices (e.g. hard drives), so that's not really an option for me.

I've seen there's some USB 2.0 to Gigabit adapters on the market with varying degrees of Mac support, but often driver problems too.

Does anyone have a viable solution?

Thanks,

Ben
The thing is USB is 480Mbps, where Gigabit Thernetnet is, well 1000Mbps. So you'd have a bottleneck via USB. BUt I guess that is the closest that you can get as you have 100Mbps ethernet now.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...uct_Id=281799#
Old May 20, 2008, 11:48 AM   #3
occamsrazor
macrumors 6502

My limited understanding was even with Gigabit you never really get close to the 1000Mbps anyway because of the TCP/IP overhead, but how that would be affected going through a 480Mbps USB link i've no idea. So long as it is significantly faster than the 100 ethernet, that's fine by me.
As for the Belkin I'd read of lots of users having problems with that on Mac OS X despite it's claimed compatibility.
occamsrazor is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs