Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marbles

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
Hi .

I read a thread re: why did you buy a MBP over Macbook
This had me wondering what thoughts you Macbook owners had regarding your choice over a MBP .

Why did you buy the Macbook and not the pro ?

I'm interested as I'm looking at both just now .

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
Portability, but this thread has been done 1000x. A search for something like MB vs MBP should give you a bajillion threads with every reason under the sun.

marbles

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
A search for something like MB vs MBP should give you a bajillion threads with every reason under the sun.

I thought so too but when I searched before posting this thread I didn't see much tbh .

The more reasons the better for me , many opinions makes light work of buying decisions !.

... a bijillion reasons sounds fine :p

xhambonex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2008
Edit: My bad I thought this was the other thread. The Macbook doesn't have graphics card I needed, or a matte screen, or a bigger screen. But otherwise its a good computer. I do dislike the keyboard on the MB though.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
Portability

It surprises me how close MBP and MB are for portability actually. The 15.4" MBP's footprint is about an inch and a half wider and half an inch longer than the 13.3" MacBook! And of course the MBP is the thinner of the two, while weighing only 0.4lb more. I think the small difference is down to the MacBook's clunky enclosure - they could definitely make it a bit thinner around the bezel (especially if it moves to LED)

marbles

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
Edit: My bad I thought this was the other thread. The Macbook doesn't have graphics card I needed, or a matte screen, or a bigger screen. But otherwise its a good computer. I do dislike the keyboard on the MB though.

I cannot work out your post ...

just to clarify for everyone ...

This is the:

Why did you buy the Macbook & >> NOT << the MBP

xhambonex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2008
ya i posted originally cuz i thought it was the other thread. I got confused. I was required to get my mbp, I probably would have gotten a blackbook otherwise because it has about the same amount of power, and is small and more portable.

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
It surprises me how close MBP and MB are for portability actually. The 15.4" MBP's footprint is about an inch and a half wider and half an inch longer than the 13.3" MacBook! And of course the MBP is the thinner of the two, while weighing only 0.4lb more. I think the small difference is down to the MacBook's clunky enclosure - they could definitely make it a bit thinner around the bezel (especially if it moves to LED)

That increased footprint drastically increases the size of the sleeve needed to stick the computer in a bag, and I'm 5' tall and 90lbs, so the size of a bag is a relevant concern!

I find I can stick my macbook pretty much anywhere and i never notice I'm carrying it...not so with my MBP that my employer provided me.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Because i didn't see the point of wasting money buying a MBP when i already have an iMac. Made sense to just pick up the MacBook instead. Also portability, believe it or not the macbook is fairly easier to lug around than the MBP

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
Because i didn't see the point of wasting money buying a MBP when i already have an iMac. Made sense to just pick up the MacBook instead. Also portability, believe it or not the macbook is fairly easier to lug around than the MBP

iMacs, great great machines. I owned a white Core Duo, but unfortunately I needed portability at college and went for a MacBook.

Moving to a MacBook Pro before Fall - I am worried, i didn't think 0.4lb would be as big a difference as people are making out :( I'll be carrying it around semi-frequently I imagine. Time to start working out :eek:

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
I bought a MB because I bought myself a college graduation gift in the form of an iMac and still needed a laptop. When all is said and done, I really love the BlackBook, much easier to carry than the 17" MBP... and best of all I get to use my Booq Bag again... unfortunately it was just a bit to small for the 17"

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Because based on the specs, the difference between a MB and MBP wasn't enough to get me to pay double for a MBP. In fact, I doubt I would even notice the difference between the two systems in terms of performance.

However, my next computer will be a 15" MBP. I want a matte screen, I want a different keyboard, and I want a high resolution 16?? x 1050 screen. Once the 15" MBP gets that higher-res screen, I'll buy it. Unfortunately, it may only come once a new MBP case redesign is released, which may bring us a new keyboard design as well. The PB and MBPs have always had the perfect keyboard, and I know that by waiting for a new model to be released, there's a good chance that the new model will have a chicklet keyboard like the MB and MBA.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
1. size, it just feels so much smaller + lighter
2. plastic, i hate the hot and sticky aluminum. the plastic feels great.
3. price, much cheaper, barely any different

that said i use a black macbook at home and a 17" macbook pro at work

definitely pros to both. many times i miss the size of my macbook when lugging the mbp around. many times i miss the gigantic beautiful screen on the mbp. :) the macbook keyboard destroys the mbp squishykeys

Jpoon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
Several reasons:

1.) Price - The MBP is almost double the price of the MacBook. What I'm gaining in that huge price jump just doesn't justify my usage, at least for myself personally. When I bought a laptop it was for portability. The design of the Pro is certainly better than the MacBook, however for just basic things on the go, I don't really see the need for the bigger screen and the discrete GPU.

2.) Size - I understand that the Pro is only a little bit bigger than the MacBook and that the weight isn't much more; you do notice the size increase though, particularly when you're lugging the thing for four plus miles throughout a school week / work week.

3.) Performance - Again, if you're just using the laptop for on the go stuff, you don't need the graphics card unless you're actually going to be doing graphic intensive stuff. The difference is negligible if you aren't utilizing the graphics card. I already have a desktop PC with way more than enough power to run all my games and other stuff. I basically don't have any need for the big screen and GPU on the go. Not enough time to play FPS's on campus! hehe

The bottom line is, if you're just taking notes and using the wifi on your campus or work, then you don't need a pro. If you already have a desktop capable of running all your graphics intensive applications, then you don't need a MBP.

You might want a pro, if you don't already have a desktop capable of doing what a MBP does better (and probably in a more cost effective manner), and you still need a slight level of mobility.

In my opinion though, most people can't afford / don't need a pro for what ever mundane stuff they have to do while "on the go."

jmdilley

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2008
I chose the MacBook over the MBP for three reasons:

1)Cost
2)Size
3)Weight

I couldn't come close to justifying the extra cost for the MBP. I've also owned 17", 15.4" and 14" laptops previously and for me a laptop really needs to be as mobile as it can be, which translates to as small and lightweight as it can be.

I've had my MacBook for about 6 months now and absolutely love it. Is the white case kind of cheesy? Yeah. But, it's a solid performing machine which I've been very happy with, and so has my wife (who has one, too).

skwij

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2006
Belleville, ON, Canada
When I bought mine, I was because I wanted (note wanted, not needed) a notebook/laptop.

I don't game, and anything I do is more than capably handled by the Macbook.

Basically, I wanted a laptop that "does" OS/X, without all the fiddling and headaches of a Hackintosh. I wanted the "real thing" this time around.

I also couldn't justify the large price differential between a MB and a MBP. Heck, if a MB was good enough for my geek IT/Unix friend, it's good enough for me!

Love my little white lappie, LOVE that it's not aluminium, LOVE the keyboard, LOVE that the RAM and HDD were so easily upgraded.

Call me shallow, but I also LOVE the attention she gets when I take her out and about. I love seeing Windows people say "hey it's got WINDOWS". Well, duh.

Do I want a MBP? Of course I do. I don't need one though, just as I don't need an iMac. This machine does all I could ever ask of it, PLUS I can take it with me (although I don't as much any more, now that I've got a Touch).

The MB is a solid little computer. 'Nuff said.

iknowyourider

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2008
onanorthboundtrain
I really like the magnetic closure. I like to open and close my notebook a lot and the lack of a latch is very convenient. I can almost forget that the MB is in my lap (because of it's small size) while I'm watching TV. It is more cost-effective and I'm not afraid to move it, use it, travel with it (easy to travel with), not afraid that I'll destroy a $2K notebook. I prefer the 13" screen size 'cause for me it's just a toy anyway.

spatlese44

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Milwaukee
how about, fits in lap better and plastic is warmer, more comfortable. To some people, that's more important than money, performance.

BennyM

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2008
Belgium
I wanted to try out a Mac and the MacBook is kind of the entry model. The prices of MBPs just isn't worth it in my opinion, you pay a lot more for only better graphics and a bigger screen.

People around me advised to get a MacBook for the portability, it sure is easy to move around but I prefer to hook it up with my 22" screen. So I could have chosen a Mac Mini, but I don't complain :p

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
The MacBook is better designed than the MacBook Pro. It has a far superior keyboard and it's not based on a design which has been going since 2003. The only gripe I have with it is that there isn't a USB port on the right, but apart from that it definitely LOOKS a lot better than the Pro when it's open.

I also have an iMac already and I can touch type, so I have no real need for a dedicated graphics card or backlit keyboard.

smooth

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Detroit
Price was the biggest factor for me. For my uses, the MacBook fit the bill perfectly. However, I would very much prefer to have a 15" screen over the MacBook's 13". I could not justify the $500 difference for a bigger screen.

That said, I absolutely love the MacBook. Except for the screen size, I have no complaints. The machine works beautifully.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.