Cant HandBrake a movie ... keeps shutting it down !!! - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old May 20, 2008, 05:18 PM   #1
EarthDawn
macrumors 6502a

Cool Cant HandBrake a movie ... keeps shutting it down !!!

Trying to use HandBrake on the movie Untraceable and when it scans the last chapter... chapter 33 it shuts down HB !!!!>.... anyone know why ???

thanks
Old May 20, 2008, 05:26 PM   #2
Cave Man
macrumors 604

Location: Neander Valley, Germany; just outside of Duesseldorf
1. If you're HB'ing directly from the DVD, make sure the DVD is clean (wipe outward from the center to the edge).

2. If you're HB'ing a ripped VIDEO_TS folder, then a pass through DToX may fix it. There are some DVDs that are troublesome.
Old May 20, 2008, 07:11 PM   #3
cohibadad
macrumors 6502a

check the log after it shuts down
cohibadad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2008, 07:40 PM   #4
speakerwizard
macrumors 68000

also, you can always download an older version of handbrake, as some updates can cause certain problems, i had the same sort of trouble today and getting the older version sorted it, whenever there is an update i often keep both. you could also use mac the rpper 1st to.
Old May 20, 2008, 10:13 PM   #5
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

Its the copy protection on Untraceable, HB crashes on scanning the whole disk, even if you prerip it with mtr 2.6.6. Latest mtr can fix it. Alternatively so can dtox.

However, HandBrake can encode it right from the disk if you do an "Open Source Title Specific" from the file menu , you will be prompted for a specific title number to scan. Enter the main feature title number which you can get from dvd player. HB will then only scan the main feature (on Untraceable its 1 I think, or maybe 2). Anyway, this will keep HB from crashing on the full disk scan and it encodes without a problem.

Detailed info on Open Source Title Specific in HB http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic....Title+Specific

FYI: many disks that cause HB to crash upon the initial scan can be encoded that way as much of the "cruft" intentionally mastered into the disk is bypassed.
dynaflash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2008, 08:21 AM   #6
EarthDawn
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaflash View Post
Its the copy protection on Untraceable, HB crashes on scanning the whole disk, even if you prerip it with mtr 2.6.6. Latest mtr can fix it. Alternatively so can dtox.

However, HandBrake can encode it right from the disk if you do an "Open Source Title Specific" from the file menu , you will be prompted for a specific title number to scan. Enter the main feature title number which you can get from dvd player. HB will then only scan the main feature (on Untraceable its 1 I think, or maybe 2). Anyway, this will keep HB from crashing on the full disk scan and it encodes without a problem.

Detailed info on Open Source Title Specific in HB http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic....Title+Specific

FYI: many disks that cause HB to crash upon the initial scan can be encoded that way as much of the "cruft" intentionally mastered into the disk is bypassed.

B-E-A-utiful !!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU !

worked like a charm
Old May 21, 2008, 01:48 PM   #7
bacaramac
macrumors 65816

Wow, man I have a stack of movies that were doing this (seems like the newer ones are doing this more often). Now I am encoding away. Does this speed up HB at the same time by select the direct title? I normally get 14-18 and I am getting 23-25FPS on my current movie.

Funny Untraceable is the movie I am doing now and was getting pissed because I wanted to encode it.
Old May 21, 2008, 02:04 PM   #8
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

I probably should have put it in the HB docs, but was too lazy so just posted to the forum after I added it.

As far as encoding speed, no it will not make it any faster. However scanning is quicker obviously because it only scans one title and gets the 10 previews for one title, instead of 10 previews for *each* title. But actual encoding speed is no different.
Old May 21, 2008, 10:03 PM   #9
Macsterling
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Macsterling Send a message via MSN to Macsterling Send a message via Yahoo to Macsterling
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I was trying to do the same movie and it kept crashing. Even when I used mac the ripper and then used hb it still did. I changed the setting in mtr to just do the feature and finally hb took it and started to encode it.
Old May 22, 2008, 11:47 AM   #10
gwerhart0800
macrumors 6502

Smile Thank you!!!

I have been looking for a solution to the HB exit issue. About 1/2 of the DVDs I try to rip with HB have this issue. Last night I was working my way through my 007 DVDs and this "title" selection method worked. I had been going back to DVDfab whenever this happened, but I was giving up chapter markers and 5.1 audio. (I did use DVDfab to find the correct title to rip ...)

Thanks again for the tip ...
Old May 22, 2008, 12:22 PM   #11
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

* is really starting to feel bad he didn't put it in the doumentation *
Old Feb 26, 2009, 05:23 PM   #12
pchaney301
macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issues with Handbrake. Except mine is shutting off after about 10% is done. Any suggestions? I'm having problems getting that Handbrake forum opened.
pchaney301 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 07:59 AM   #13
DavieBoy
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to DavieBoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaflash View Post

Very good work!

"You are a god among insects, don't let anyone tell you different"
- Magneto

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater