Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pianoman1976

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2008
Hello,

I am unable to change certain permissions on a folder "WikiServer" (/Library/Application Support/Apple). There is a user listed, "(unknown)" who has full control. I am unable to do anything with this user on this folder despite me taking ownership, giving myself full control, and unlocking the folder.

Who/what is this user? Can I query a list of all non-system users? I only have my account (admin) and a guest account (disabled) on this system. I've noticed an additional user "Wheel" on a number of folders. Is this a system thing? I don't believe so because she shows up wherever Mickey Mouse stuff is going on.

Also when running Disk Utility, even form a direct boot from CD, I am unable repair permissions on a number of folders. If booting from a CD does not allow me full control, what does? I thought a CD boot was a fail safe in this regard.

Please advise. Thanks.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Mac OS X doesn't show you all the users and groups on the system, from the Finder by default. The wheel group has been around for a long time - its existence originates from BSD, which Mac OS X is derived from. You can use the Terminal to query the system about a folder's permissions, if you know which commands to use. The command you need in this case is this:
Code:
ls -l /Library/Application\ Support/Apple/WikiServer/

pianoman1976

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2008
User "Wheel" appears to be capable of malicious intrusion. What are your thought on this? What are your thoughts on this "unknown" user that I cannot remove from this folder's permissions? What is wikiserver?

Finally, how do I fix my system to get back my original permissions, as the disk utility from CD boot does not work. Are there root settings somewhere that are preventing this? Do I need to return this computer to the Apple Store?

Thank you.

pianoman1976

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2008
Here is what Terminal returns for the WikiServer folder:

total 0
drwxrwxr-x+ 4 _teamsserver _teamsserver 136 May 20 02:28 Japanese.lproj
drwxrwxr-x+ 4 _teamsserver _teamsserver 136 May 20 02:27 de.lproj
drwxrwxr-x+ 4 _teamsserver _teamsserver 136 May 20 02:28 fr.lproj

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.