Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which iMac design do you like best?

• iMac G3

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • iMac G4

Votes: 43 41.0%
  • iMac G5/Intel (White)

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • iMac Intel (Silver/Black)

Votes: 45 42.9%

• Total voters

superman193

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
What design do you like best? what are some flaws in the designs of these beauties? lets hear your thoughts ! :p

for me, i love the imac g3 design but then again its a bit thick :rolleyes:
:cool::apple:

alam

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2008
Saudi Arabia
i love the g3 design, specially the screen design :eek: it's the best.
it looks like those new oled screens for sony :rolleyes: now i think sony has stolen the idea from apple :p

Alloye

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2007
Rocklin, CA
I...
  • hated the G3. I always thought they looked cheap and cheesy.
  • loved the G4. It remains one of the most striking designs ever. Plus it was the Mac I "switched" with.
  • liked the G5/white Intel. All that white plastic seemed a bit much, but I didn't hate it. And I thought the user serviceability of the G5 was a nice touch that should've been carried forward.
  • love the aluminum Intel. While not as unique as the G4, I think the overall design is superb. It's my favorite iMac to date.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
The iMac G4 was definitely one of the most unique widely made computers to date.

I have a G5 20" iSight iMac, while it looks good, the plastic up close looks crummy.

I vote for the iMac G3, because my old school had them and I hadn't recognized what an Apple computer was until I went there and they had a bunch of them. I loved them. My favorite would have to be either the Graphite Slotloader, the Dark Blue Slotloader, or the Lime Trayloader (I have a lime trayloader. :))

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008
The iMac G4 is the best designed desktop ever and nothing comes close to it, even today's iMacs.

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008
Don't iMac G5s/Intels feel like boxes while iMac G4s feel like work of art and high technology to anybody?

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
the lamp is the best but i love the Alu iMac just as much. its a nice combination of Alu and glass to create a beautiful working enviroment

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
I feel that the current silver design will look just as outdated as the white chin model once a new model is released. The G4, on the other hand, is very unique and beautiful. It holds a place in my heart, right next to the G4 Cube.

-Clive

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
I like the G4 design much better than that of any new or previous designs. While I like the G5 design, it doesn't have the character of the G4. I never liked the G3 design, it looks kinda cheap. The Aluminum is really nice but it's almost like it has no soul.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
the g4 is a beauty. after that i like the original imac. i'm not enormously keen on the g5 but only in comparison to its predecessors and it's the one i have.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
G3 = clunky now, but good at the time.
G4 = beautiful design, practical and nice, impractical for todays hardware sizes
G5 = functional and clean
Intel = functional, industrial.

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
G4 no question , while the newer iMacs look OK they will date quickly ( as mentioned before further up )

The G4 is a design classic , a lovely looking computer which I wish they would bring back up to date & in aluminium, imagine that !

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
i love the g3 design, specially the screen design :eek: it's the best.
it looks like those new oled screens for sony :rolleyes: now i think sony has stolen the idea from apple :p
I think you meant the G4 with the moveable screen.

so that's one poll point from G3 moved to G4... :)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
What exactly do you mean by this? :confused:

what i mean is that a 24" screen would never be able to work on a machine designed that way.

not to mention that cramming everything into such a small enclosure wouldn't yield the best results imo. it would still be a nightmare to service. and if you remember the 20" screens were a bit 'odd looking' imo as well. they really did shine at the 15" and 17" sizes though.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
what i mean is that a 24" screen would never be able to work on a machine designed that way.

not to mention that cramming everything into such a small enclosure wouldn't yield the best results imo. it would still be a nightmare to service. and if you remember the 20" screens were a bit 'odd looking' imo as well. they really did shine at the 15" and 17" sizes though.

It would certainly work you would just have to make everything bigger, apple already does this with the iMac now, the 24 has a larger stand than the 23.

So the 24 of the G4 design would have a bigger base.

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
It would certainly work you would just have to make everything bigger, apple already does this with the iMac now, the 24 has a larger stand than the 23.

So the 24 of the G4 design would have a bigger base.

Sounds like a plan to me :) ... come Apple listen to the man !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.