Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Nov 24, 2003, 10:46 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Disgruntled iPod user taking on Apple's iPod Battery Policy...

Category: Videos
Link: Disgruntled iPod user taking on Apple's iPod Battery Policy... (too bad it's not actually true anymore.)

Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by arn
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Nov 24, 2003, 10:49 AM   #2
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
well done video.

would have a bigger impact if it was still true... since Apple has introduced an official iPod battery replacement policy.

arn
arn is offline   0
Old Nov 24, 2003, 11:00 AM   #3
Bendit
macrumors regular

He still has a very valid point. It took Apple years to finally offer battery replacements.

Just because it's no longer true doesn't mean apple didn't screw iPod users for a long time.
Bendit is offline   0
Old Nov 24, 2003, 11:29 AM   #4
arn
macrumors god

Quote:
Originally posted by Bendit
He still has a very valid point. It took Apple years to finally offer battery replacements.

Just because it's no longer true doesn't mean apple didn't screw iPod users for a long time.
Well, considering the iPods have only been in existence for 2 years.... depending on when u think the iPod's battery goes bad.... they've only been screwing early users for 6 months.

arn
arn is offline   0
Old Nov 24, 2003, 11:33 AM   #5
celaurie
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to celaurie
Apple and batteries is a sore point with a lot of people.

I have an iBook 600 with a 20 minute battery life that I can't get a replacement for and a friend who has an iBook 700 that utterly died after a year of use who also cannot get a repalcement. It sucks!

More support from upstairs would be nice.

cel, the lifeless battery guy
Old Nov 24, 2003, 11:51 AM   #6
dracoleb
macrumors member

Don't get Mac users mad, they have massive Video editing power and mediocre video editing skills at their disposal, Be afraid, be very afraid
Old Nov 24, 2003, 12:09 PM   #7
gunnmjk
macrumors member

The guys an idiot. Just because YOUR iPod battery dies, doesn't mean that everybody's will die at the SAME TIME! Hardly constitutes discrediting posters for new iPods.
Even if the old gen iPods had low batter lifetimes, the new ones surely do not. So why stop people from buying a new one?
gunnmjk is offline   0
Old Nov 24, 2003, 12:21 PM   #8
imaswitcheryeah
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally posted by gunnmjk
The guys an idiot. Just because YOUR iPod battery dies, doesn't mean that everybody's will die at the SAME TIME!
You are basically right. It depends on your usage/recharge habits. It's all ways a good rule of thumb to try and use up as much of the battery before recharging to get the most life out of rechargeable batteries. I try to do that as much as I can with my T616 since battery life is really important with cell phones. Luckily, on my iRiver SlimX 400 CD player, there are 2 options when recharging the batteries, one is just a basic recharge and the other is discharge and recharge. An easily addable feature to the iPod with a simple firmware update. Now if only iRiver will release a firmware update for my CD player to support AAC!!!
Old Nov 24, 2003, 12:25 PM   #9
Laslo Panaflex
macrumors 65816

I think that he had a great point, the battery should not die after 18 months, and if it does it shouldn't cost that much to replace. I know that apple now has a battery replacement plan, but comon, I paid $400 for my ipod, I would like the battery to last longer than a year and a half. I bought a sony video camera when I was in 8th grade, that was 10 years ago and its rechargeable battery still works like it did when I bought it. Oh well, maybe I am comparing two not very comparable items, but the point is there is battery technoloy that can last, its not like the ipod uses as much power as my camera, or a laptop, I mean is the ipod really that much stress on the battery?

That's just my opinion.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 12:30 PM   #10
machinehien
macrumors regular

what a brat

To the Neistat Bros

Gee guys, you expended a lot of effort in letting everyone know and were thoughtful enough in videotaping yourselves defacing a bunch of posters. I was expecting something at least charming or funny, not three minutes of sour grapes. That's a chunk of my life I will never recover.

As for everyone else, don't bother visiting the site, they don't deserve the traffic, I am amazed it triple over the past few hours. Or. Visit it and exceed their bandwidth usage.
machinehien is offline   0
Old Nov 24, 2003, 12:36 PM   #11
Stella
macrumors 603

Actually, they haven't.

Not if you live outside the US borders.

Typical apple policy - ignore the non-US markets.

Quote:
Originally posted by arn
well done video.

would have a bigger impact if it was still true... since Apple has introduced an official iPod battery replacement policy.

arn
Old Nov 24, 2003, 12:36 PM   #12
Blackstealth
macrumors regular

I've had my iPod for almost two years now, I still get 6-8 hours of life out of the battery with regular use.
Blackstealth is offline   0
Old Nov 24, 2003, 12:39 PM   #13
Lancetx
macrumors 68000

You're right, it's nothing more than a waste of time. There are always going to be a few lemons out there no matter what it is you're buying. You just chalk it up to experience and move on. Besides, aren't broken iPods going for $100-200 on eBay? I'd just sell mine there for whatever I could get for it and then go buy a new one if mine ever died.
Lancetx is offline   0
Old Nov 24, 2003, 12:40 PM   #14
mrsebastian
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to mrsebastian
if ipods were a lot less expensive, i don't think people would have such a problem. if ipods would cost $150-200, people wouldn't give a sh#t about the battery issue, 'cause in 2 years they'd upgrade to a larger ipod anyway.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 12:55 PM   #15
arn
macrumors god

Quote:
Originally posted by mrsebastian
if ipods were a lot less expensive, i don't think people would have such a problem. if ipods would cost $150-200, people wouldn't give a sh#t about the battery issue, 'cause in 2 years they'd upgrade to a larger ipod anyway.
you underestimate people's ability to complain.

arn
arn is offline   0
Old Nov 24, 2003, 01:30 PM   #16
MacBandit
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to MacBandit
Too bad the guy failed to do some research before going to all this work to find out that there are replacement batteries on the market and instructions on how to do so.

Also yes, battery use and proper charging do have a lot to do with battery life. Unfortunately Apple does not explain this and the vast majority of the world does not know how to extend the life of there batteries through maintenance. So in affect it is Apples fault for not educating there consumers.
MacBandit is offline   0
Old Nov 24, 2003, 03:58 PM   #17
pgwalsh
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Yahoo to pgwalsh
I think the video is great!

I also think Apple charges to much for the replacement battery.

I'm gald there's online alternatives even though they cost $50.

It will be a better day when you can replace your iPod battery for $10.
pgwalsh is offline   0
Old Nov 24, 2003, 04:34 PM   #18
manitoubalck
Banned

Yeah I liked the video, glad to see Apple finally realised that Li-Ion batteries only last 2 years and are offering replacements.
manitoubalck is offline   0
Old Nov 24, 2003, 04:39 PM   #19
Counterfit
macrumors 601

I think that some people will act like idiots and videotape themselves defacing other's property.

Hell, while we're thinking, I'm gonna think of some hot wimmin with free pizza!
Counterfit is offline   0
Old Nov 24, 2003, 04:43 PM   #20
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

my ipod is 19 months old and still gets better life than you'd get out of a 3rd Gen. ipod fresh out of the package.

if and when it dies, I'll get a $50 replacement. I won't go around crying and vandalizing.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 04:45 PM   #21
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally posted by imaswitcheryeah
You are basically right. It depends on your usage/recharge habits. It's all ways a good rule of thumb to try and use up as much of the battery before recharging to get the most life out of rechargeable batteries. I try to do that as much as I can with my T616 since battery life is really important with cell phones. Luckily, on my iRiver SlimX 400 CD player, there are 2 options when recharging the batteries, one is just a basic recharge and the other is discharge and recharge. An easily addable feature to the iPod with a simple firmware update. Now if only iRiver will release a firmware update for my CD player to support AAC!!!

IIRC the iPod uses a Lithium-Ion battery. Those types of batteries do not develop "memories" so they do not need to be fully discharged before recharing. In fact quite the opposite is true. Fully discharing a Lithium-Ion battery could be harmful to the battery and manufacturers recommend frequent recharges to keep the battery level up as opposed to infrequent recharges and allowing the battery to drain all the way down.

Laslo Panaflex, no offense but I'm calling BS. I don't believe that a 10 year-old battery that gets regular use in your video camera has not lost any recharge ability at all? If Sony could make a battery that had a 10 year lifespan w/o losing any of it's capacity they would own the battery market.

Lethal
LethalWolfe is offline   0
Old Nov 24, 2003, 04:53 PM   #22
bennetsaysargh
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to bennetsaysargh
one of the stupidest things i've ever seen.

can't we bring him to court for vandalism? we have video proof

but then again, people are just stupid sometimes.
bennetsaysargh is offline   0
Old Nov 24, 2003, 05:28 PM   #23
Nicky G
macrumors 6502a

It is in violation of federal law to record a telephone conversation without making the other party aware of the fact beforehand.

It's beyond idiotic to break a federal law and then video yourself breaking another law (vandalism).

It's even dumber to break the above two laws and then publicly flaunt the fact on a website that is registered under your own name, address, and phone number.

'Nuff said.
Nicky G is offline   0
Old Nov 24, 2003, 05:41 PM   #24
SiliconAddict
macrumors 601

Re: Disgruntled iPod user taking on Apple's iPod Battery Policy...

Quote:
Originally posted by MacBytes
Category: Videos
Link: Disgruntled iPod user taking on Apple's iPod Battery Policy... (too bad it's not actually true anymore.)

Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by arn

Someone's been watching a few too many Target Market\Truth ads on TV

Seriously though. If I spent $500 on a device like this I'd expect better batt life. 500 charges isn't a whole heck of a lot. Maybe 800 or something. I know I've done well over 500 charges on my Pocket PC with a Li-polymer battery and its still going strong. :\

-Newton 4700 (a.k.a iPaq 4700)
-Dell 2405FPW 24" Widescreen
SiliconAddict is offline   0
Old Nov 24, 2003, 05:46 PM   #25
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally posted by Nicky G
It is in violation of federal law to record a telephone conversation without making the other party aware of the fact beforehand.

It's beyond idiotic to break a federal law and then video yourself breaking another law (vandalism).

It's even dumber to break the above two laws and then publicly flaunt the fact on a website that is registered under your own name, address, and phone number.

'Nuff said.

Well, not that I think they thought this far ahead, but you don't know if the person on the phone is an Apple rep or just an "actor" parroting what the Apple rep told these guys when they called. Also, the laws about taping phone conversations vary by state. For example, here in Indiana only one party needs to consent to the recording of the conversation for the act of recording the call to be legal.

If anything these guys could be sued for slander... libel (I always get those two mixed up)? That is assuming of course that their iPod battery problem was more of a fluke and less of a common experience. I also think that the because they made a specific claim (18 months battery life) that it would be easier to sue them than if they made a more general, subjective claim (iPod battery life blows). Of course I doubt Apple will sue them 'cause that will only make this thing more popular. In a month it will be just another internet memory.

Lethal
LethalWolfe is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion