Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

There are circulating claims that the 'Enable 3G' setting screenshot in the latest iPhone 2.0 Beta was faked.

Asking whether or not the screenshot is fake is like asking if a perfect digital replica of a photo is fake. The story remains the same regardless of the answer. As mentioned in the original story, the exact wording and text from the screenshot appears in Apple's iPhone 2.0 firmware:

193259-3gstrings.png

Apple expects the 3G option in the upcoming iPhone to impact battery life enough that it offers the user and option to turn it off.

Article Link

ben5959

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
this should put to ease all of the whiners that complained about the 3G Battery life sucking!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Here's the full story for anyone who cares.

1. 3G screenshot posted by an 'unofficial developer'.
2. it gets a lot of press
3. 'unofficial developer'. gets accepted into iPhone Dev program.
4. He posts in a "wink-wink" disclaimer later: "oh, that wasn't a real screenshot, I just photoshoped it and it was a big coincidence" so he doesn't get in trouble from Apple for posting it in the first place
5. a site that can't read between the lines posted it as truth.

The screenshot is legit.

btw, here's a video with someone using the 3G switch on an iPhone (37 seconds in)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk1rUtQJxMg

arn

hondje

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2007
South Bend, IN
I believe the photo was NOT fake. Even if it was, the concept certainly isn't. It is a little similar to being able to turn of Wifi. I will welcome this feature, but I doubt I will have much trouble with battery usage. Most of my phone usage is in the car: car charger = full battery.

WWDC hurry up!!!!

yopp111

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2005
Here's the full story for anyone who cares.

1. 3G screenshot posted by an 'unofficial developer'.
2. it gets a lot of press
3. 'unofficial developer'. gets accepted into iPhone Dev program.
4. He posts in a "wink-wink" disclaimer later: "oh, that wasn't a real screenshot, I just photoshoped it and it was a big coincidence" so he doesn't get in trouble from Apple for posting it in the first place
5. sites that can't read between the lines post it as truth.

The screenshot was legit.

arn

thanks, i didnt understand the first post at all until you said that

Jackattack

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Did anyone else notice a slight bit of hostility in that post? It didn't read like any MacRumors post I've ever seen... lol maybe someone has just had enough.

chuckles:)

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2006
CANADA
Grammar's a bit funny here.

Whether or not the actual screenshot was faked or not is like asking if someone drew an exact digital replica of a screenshot, does that make it fake?

Maybe something like "Asking whether or not the screenshot is fake is like asking if a perfect digital replica of a photo is fake. It might be, but who cares?"

[admin edit: changed it in the story, thanks - arn]

auyongtc

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2006
*hops on the iPhone tram*

For those of you without a 3G phone before, (almost?) all 3G phones have the option to set whether you want to run 3G at all times, or stick to 2G (GSM w/ GPRS/EDGE/etc) mainly to improve battery life.

Having support for that option means :apple: is getting one step closer to having a 3G iPhone. Hmm, since when did Apple start putting standard features to their products? :rolleyes:

*hops off*

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
Apple expects the 3G option in the upcoming iPhone to impact battery life enough that it offers the user and option to turn it off.

Jeebus! Are you 'mericans so devoid of 3G that you don't listen to us Europeans going on and on and on and on about how pretty much every 3G phone on the market has the option to use only 2G networks?! Yes, it gives the user the option, but so does every other phone, this isn't new!

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
Spain
Jeebus! Are you 'mericans so devoid of 3G that you don't listen to us Europeans going on and on and on and on about how pretty much every 3G phone on the market has the option to use only 2G networks?! Yes, it gives the user the option, but so does every other phone, this isn't new!

I don't think that is the point of this thread

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

We will see soon enough. I think it may be a very useful option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.