Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 10, 2002, 10:11 AM   #1
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus
 
Mr. Anderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: VA
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
Post Etiquette

Rower_CPU and I got into a little discussion yesterday about posts and their content. Britboy started it with

'Still, who cares about the age? As long as your posts are relevant and/or intelligent'

(its in the Private Forum, so not everyone can view the original) with Rower_CPU stepping in and throwing back

Hopefully relevant AND intelligent...one without the other is nothing to be proud of.

I disagreed because I do believe you can have a relevant post and not be intelligent (state a fact or opinion, other than 'That's cool!' or 'I agree') or post something intelligent that might divert the thread to another subject, which happens all the time and is perfectly appropiate.

Anyone care to comment?
__________________
"Klaatu varada nikto!"
Mr. Anderson is offline   0
Old May 10, 2002, 10:16 AM   #2
Rower_CPU
Moderator emeritus
 
Rower_CPU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
And the battle is rejoined...

Do you have a reaction to my last post there?

PS. Hope you're allright this AM...a bottle of sake is nothing to sneeze at.
__________________
Join MacRumors.com - Team Folding!
Rower_CPU is offline   0
Old May 10, 2002, 10:17 AM   #3
mcrain
Banned
 
mcrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Illinois
Re: Post Etiquette

Quote:
Originally posted by dukestreet
Rower_CPU and I got into a little discussion yesterday about posts and their content. Britboy started it with

'Still, who cares about the age? As long as your posts are relevant and/or intelligent'

Hopefully relevant AND intelligent...one without the other is nothing to be proud of.

I disagreed because I do believe you can have a relevant post and not be intelligent (state a fact or opinion, other than 'That's cool!' or 'I agree') or post something intelligent that might divert the thread to another subject, which happens all the time and is perfectly appropiate.

Anyone care to comment?
I'd love to comment. Commenting on issues that are interesting or intelligent or evening arguing about something is fun. Getting into intellectual debates about issues like this can be very diverting and well worth the effort.

That's my less than intelligent, sort of irrelevant, yet appropriate post of the day.
mcrain is offline   0
Old May 10, 2002, 10:19 AM   #4
eyelikeart
Moderator emeritus
 
eyelikeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Metairie, LA
re: being diplomatic

I agree...

one's intelligence level has nothing to do with whether or not they can say something interesting or useful...

but I will say that intelligent people can often be much more interesting to talk to...nothing like intellectual stimulation...

but around here....the only irrelevant comments are often either from those who just like to get quickie posts in (to help post count?! ) or just for the sake of throwing a one-liner in to get a laugh (mischief...do u hear me??)
eyelikeart is offline   0
Old May 10, 2002, 10:20 AM   #5
Rower_CPU
Moderator emeritus
 
Rower_CPU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Re: Re: Post Etiquette

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrain
I'd love to comment. Commenting on issues that are interesting or intelligent or evening arguing about something is fun. Getting into intellectual debates about issues like this can be very diverting and well worth the effort.

That's my less than intelligent, sort of irrelevant, yet appropriate post of the day.
Actually, I find your post both intelligent and relevant. It addresses the topic and adds your own insight...therefore you are the first recipient of the "Relevant and Intelligent Post of the Day" (or, RIPD) Award...hey if Beej can do it, so can I!
__________________
Join MacRumors.com - Team Folding!
Rower_CPU is offline   0
Old May 10, 2002, 10:21 AM   #6
Beej
macrumors 68020
 
Beej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Buffy's bedroom
Send a message via ICQ to Beej
I guess my previous post in another thread, which consisted of calling a dumbass, was neither relevant or intelligent.

It's ok, I've slapped my own wrist.

--

I'm gunna have to go with dukestreet on this one, sorry Rower
__________________
Hardcore newborn. (Thanks to mcrain for the idea)
"You're a lot smarter than you look. Of course, you look like a retard..."
Beej is offline   0
Old May 10, 2002, 10:23 AM   #7
mcrain
Banned
 
mcrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by Beej
It's ok, I've slapped my own wrist.
(2nd less than intelligent, irrelevant post of the day)---> I've slapped my own monkey.
mcrain is offline   0
Old May 10, 2002, 10:23 AM   #8
Rower_CPU
Moderator emeritus
 
Rower_CPU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Re: re: being diplomatic

Quote:
Originally posted by eyelikeart
I agree...

one's intelligence level has nothing to do with whether or not they can say something interesting or useful...

but I will say that intelligent people can often be much more interesting to talk to...nothing like intellectual stimulation...

but around here....the only irrelevant comments are often either from those who just like to get quickie posts in (to help post count?! ) or just for the sake of throwing a one-liner in to get a laugh (mischief...do u hear me??)
If you go back and look through the discussion, eye, you'll see that we're not trying to ascertain if the poster is intelligent...just the post. If they have something interesting/useful/insightful to add, or they respond with factual information to someone's question, I say "that's an intelligent post".

I was, in part, referring to one line posts, or the ever popular "I agree" that may be relevant, but do nothing to add to the overall discussion.
__________________
Join MacRumors.com - Team Folding!
Rower_CPU is offline   0
Old May 10, 2002, 10:24 AM   #9
Mr. Anderson
Thread Starter
Moderator emeritus
 
Mr. Anderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: VA
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
Quote:
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
And the battle is rejoined...

Do you have a reaction to my last post there?

PS. Hope you're allright this AM...a bottle of sake is nothing to sneeze at.
I'll post your rejoinder here and pick it up. Ah, no prob with the sake, man I love that stuff. Didn't finish the whole bottle, got smart in the end. I like mine chilled, BTW.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Intelligent, but irrelevant:
I find the works of Picasso to be much more thought provoking and emotive than those of Van Gogh.

Relevant, but unintelligent:
I agree with Rower_CPU.

Does that work better for you?
Intelligent, but irrelevant: this one works for me as long as its not out of the blue. For example you might have been talking about something that didn't have anything to do with Picasso or Van Gogh, but something did make you think or draw a connection none the less. This would be an example of going off topic, nothing wrong with that.

Relavant, but unitelligent: sure, we've all seen that post in some form or another. If you just left it at that, it would be stupid, but by backing it up with an example, you justify the post.
__________________
"Klaatu varada nikto!"
Mr. Anderson is offline   0
Old May 10, 2002, 10:26 AM   #10
eyelikeart
Moderator emeritus
 
eyelikeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Metairie, LA
Quote:
Originally posted by dukestreet
Relavant, but unitelligent: sure, we've all seen that post in some form or another. If you just left it at that, it would be stupid, but by backing it up with an example, you justify the post.
I see...

ok I was going to leave it at that but I didn't think it would come across as funny...

how's that for relevance & intelligence?
eyelikeart is offline   0
Old May 10, 2002, 10:27 AM   #11
Backtothemac
macrumors 601
 
Backtothemac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: San Destin Florida
Send a message via AIM to Backtothemac
IMHO, I think that there is a balance between personal opinion, and intelligence. If you think about it from a logical standpoint, a post should only become unintelligible when personal opinion overrides ones intellect. I have been guilty of this myself before with some of my posts. We all have been. I don't know what the subject of the of the discussion was in the private boards were, but I hope that it was not in relation to a posters age.

I personally believe that age, and the ability to post with intelligence are not tied to one another at all. Look back and think of the most narrow minded, and idiotic posts that you can, and most will actually be from people over 21 I bet.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. By the way, how do you gain access to the private forums?
__________________
2011 Late 17" MacBook Pro
iPad Mini VZW 64GB LTE
iPhone 4S 16GB VZW
Backtothemac is offline   0
Old May 10, 2002, 10:32 AM   #12
Beej
macrumors 68020
 
Beej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Buffy's bedroom
Send a message via ICQ to Beej
Quote:
Originally posted by Backtothemac
By the way, how do you gain access to the private forums?
You have to buy a mug (or you can donate). You become a Demi-god, and you get access to the private forums.
__________________
Hardcore newborn. (Thanks to mcrain for the idea)
"You're a lot smarter than you look. Of course, you look like a retard..."
Beej is offline   0
Old May 10, 2002, 10:33 AM   #13
Rower_CPU
Moderator emeritus
 
Rower_CPU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by dukestreet
I'll post your rejoinder here and pick it up. Ah, no prob with the sake, man I love that stuff. Didn't finish the whole bottle, got smart in the end. I like mine chilled, BTW.

Intelligent, but irrelevant: this one works for me as long as its not out of the blue. For example you might have been talking about something that didn't have anything to do with Picasso or Van Gogh, but something did make you think or draw a connection none the less. This would be an example of going off topic, nothing wrong with that.
See, that's just the thing. Most times, it IS out of the blue, or at least only connected to the discussion via someone's random association with the topic at hand. If we're talking about rackmacs and someone associates the word "rack" with a woman's breasts, posts some such comment, and the next thing you know...the "Mac Rack" thread becomes a "Macs and Breasts" thread. Interesting, yes. Helpful, no.

Quote:
Relavant, but unitelligent: sure, we've all seen that post in some form or another. If you just left it at that, it would be stupid, but by backing it up with an example, you justify the post.
The problem is that people do just leave it at that, or the examples they give are not worth the time it takes to read them.


To make something clear, I'm not trying to enact some sort of censorship measure, or post monitoring situation here. I was just stating my personal opinion about posts in general.
__________________
Join MacRumors.com - Team Folding!
Rower_CPU is offline   0
Old May 10, 2002, 10:33 AM   #14
mcrain
Banned
 
mcrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by Backtothemac
IMHO, I think that there is a balance between personal opinion, and intelligence. If you think about it from a logical standpoint, a post should only become unintelligible when personal opinion overrides ones intellect. I have been guilty of this myself before with some of my posts. We all have been. I don't know what the subject of the of the discussion was in the private boards were, but I hope that it was not in relation to a posters age.

I personally believe that age, and the ability to post with intelligence are not tied to one another at all. Look back and think of the most narrow minded, and idiotic posts that you can, and most will actually be from people over 21 I bet.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. By the way, how do you gain access to the private forums?
I have to disagree with you a little bit. Intelligence and personal opinion can not be balanced, as they are not in opposition to each other. We all have personal opinion. In fact, most of what we type here is nothing more than personal opinion, or a regurgitation of facts we read or learned elsewhere.

The key to an intelligent post is not that you have in some way been more intelligent, but that you thoughtfully articulated your personal opinion in a manner that is understandable to other readers. Furthermore, an intelligent conversation is characterized by a series of intelligent posts (i.e. well articulated opinions) that take into account the other posters opinions, and applies the posters opinion to facts and other opinions to those same facts to convince the other posters of the accuracy or logic of your opinion.

At least, that's my take.

Sorry if that wasn't very relevant or intelligent.
mcrain is offline   0
Old May 10, 2002, 10:34 AM   #15
Mr. Anderson
Thread Starter
Moderator emeritus
 
Mr. Anderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: VA
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
Quote:
Originally posted by Backtothemac

Anyway, just my 2 cents. By the way, how do you gain access to the private forums?
Buy a mug and become a Demi-God.

The age thing was about Beej being the youngest contributor (Demi-God) at 19. Britboy comes in around second at 21. Posting in this case didn't have anything to do with age.
__________________
"Klaatu varada nikto!"
Mr. Anderson is offline   0
Old May 10, 2002, 10:36 AM   #16
eyelikeart
Moderator emeritus
 
eyelikeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Metairie, LA
Quote:
Originally posted by Backtothemac
I personally believe that age, and the ability to post with intelligence are not tied to one another at all. Look back and think of the most narrow minded, and idiotic posts that you can, and most will actually be from people over 21 I bet.
exactly....age has nothing to do with it...

when u consider the fact that MacAztec is much younger than most of us here...he's one of the heavier posters...and sometimes can be pointless but agreeable (like we all do)...but often enough he's got something to say...definitely not a freeloader...
eyelikeart is offline   0
Old May 10, 2002, 10:37 AM   #17
eyelikeart
Moderator emeritus
 
eyelikeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Metairie, LA
Quote:
Originally posted by dukestreet


Buy a mug and become a Demi-God.

The age thing was about Beej being the youngest contributor (Demi-God) at 19. Britboy comes in around second at 21. Posting in this case didn't have anything to do with age.
does that make me third at 24?!
eyelikeart is offline   0
Old May 10, 2002, 10:37 AM   #18
Rower_CPU
Moderator emeritus
 
Rower_CPU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by mcrain
I have to disagree with you a little bit. Intelligence and personal opinion can not be balanced, as they are not in opposition to each other. We all have personal opinion. In fact, most of what we type here is nothing more than personal opinion, or a regurgitation of facts we read or learned elsewhere.

The key to an intelligent post is not that you have in some way been more intelligent, but that you thoughtfully articulated your personal opinion in a manner that is understandable to other readers. Furthermore, an intelligent conversation is characterized by a series of intelligent posts (i.e. well articulated opinions) that take into account the other posters opinions, and applies the posters opinion to facts and other opinions to those same facts to convince the other posters of the accuracy or logic of your opinion.

At least, that's my take.

Sorry if that wasn't very relevant or intelligent.
And the taxman cometh...

Well put mcrain. This is more or less what I'm trying to get at.

BTW - Got my tax refund check yesterday. Uncle Sam was nice for a change. I overestimated my taxes and was due a bigger refund than I thought. Gotta love that!
(And yes, that was very irrelevant)
__________________
Join MacRumors.com - Team Folding!
Rower_CPU is offline   0
Old May 10, 2002, 10:39 AM   #19
Rower_CPU
Moderator emeritus
 
Rower_CPU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by eyelikeart
does that make me third at 24?!
Sorry. 23 here...for another 3 1/2 months.

Damn...this is downward spiral of irrelevance...*sigh*...
__________________
Join MacRumors.com - Team Folding!
Rower_CPU is offline   0
Old May 10, 2002, 10:40 AM   #20
mcrain
Banned
 
mcrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
BTW - Got my tax refund check yesterday. Uncle Sam was nice for a change. I overestimated my taxes and was due a bigger refund than I thought. Gotta love that!
(And yes, that was very irrelevant)
Well, Uncle Sam loves giving people big refunds. The reason for that is, by overestimating your taxes, or having too little withheld from your income, you are essentially giving Uncle Sam an interest free loan. Enough taxpayers do that, and Uncle sam has a lot of extra money each year to play with. Imagine how much interest is earned by the Government during the year on all the taxpayers money that it then refunds? Believe me, it's a lot.

Sorry for being off topic.
mcrain is offline   0
Old May 10, 2002, 10:40 AM   #21
Mr. Anderson
Thread Starter
Moderator emeritus
 
Mr. Anderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: VA
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
Quote:
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
The problem is that people do just leave it at that, or the examples they give are not worth the time it takes to read them.

To make something clear, I'm not trying to enact some sort of censorship measure, or post monitoring situation here. I was just stating my personal opinion about posts in general.
I'm in total agreement with you here on both counts. We're just discussing, not enforcing. I've seen more than a few one liners or irrelevant posts, and it does detract from the overall discussion for that thread. I usually just ignore them. I'm not going to point fingers, that's not my job.

But one of the reasons I started this thread is that hopefully some other members might read this and up the level of their post contribution or just stay silent if they've really got nothing to add to the thread. As for bumping up post count, its not hard to do that and actually contribute something. So much is being discussed here on a daily basis its hard not to find something to talk about.
__________________
"Klaatu varada nikto!"
Mr. Anderson is offline   0
Old May 10, 2002, 10:42 AM   #22
Rower_CPU
Moderator emeritus
 
Rower_CPU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by eyelikeart
exactly....age has nothing to do with it...

when u consider the fact that MacAztec is much younger than most of us here...he's one of the heavier posters...and sometimes can be pointless but agreeable (like we all do)...but often enough he's got something to say...definitely not a freeloader...
Age was never the question...just relevance and intelligence.

Age has nothing to do with implicit wisdom and ability to add to the conversation. Usually it just affects their ability to express themselves in a clear/coherent manner, since they haven't had as much time to develop communication skills.
__________________
Join MacRumors.com - Team Folding!
Rower_CPU is offline   0
Old May 10, 2002, 10:46 AM   #23
Rower_CPU
Moderator emeritus
 
Rower_CPU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by dukestreet
I'm in total agreement with you here on both counts. We're just discussing, not enforcing. I've seen more than a few one liners or irrelevant posts, and it does detract from the overall discussion for that thread. I usually just ignore them. I'm not going to point fingers, that's not my job.

But one of the reasons I started this thread is that hopefully some other members might read this and up the level of their post contribution or just stay silent if they've really got nothing to add to the thread. As for bumping up post count, its not hard to do that and actually contribute something. So much is being discussed here on a daily basis its hard not to find something to talk about.
Ah ha! A blatant attempt to gain more posts by dukestreet! I cry "FOUL"!!!

Your near 100 yesterday not good enough, eh? Seriously, though, you're all over the place these days.

<whisper>You're only 27 behind AlphaTech right now </whisper>
__________________
Join MacRumors.com - Team Folding!
Rower_CPU is offline   0
Old May 10, 2002, 10:51 AM   #24
mcrain
Banned
 
mcrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Age was never the question...just relevance and intelligence.

Age has nothing to do with implicit wisdom and ability to add to the conversation. Usually it just affects their ability to express themselves in a clear/coherent manner, since they haven't had as much time to develop communication skills.
Considering my personal opinion is that age and intelligence are unrelated, and I get really really upset when older people look down on the Gen X crowd (or younger) like they are dumb just because they are young... I can't believe I'm about to argue that there is a connection between intelligent posting and age.

The connection isn't intelligence. It isn't the ability to articulate a point. The connection is experience. I can talk about a far larger set of topics than someone who is half my age due to my far larger amount of experiences. For example, I can talk about business, working, college, post-grad work, and being married, not because I'm smarter, but because I've experienced those things.

That being said, I find it very refreshing, and very helpful to hear the opinions of younger people applied to my experiences. It helps me remember how I used to view things, and helps me realize how I've grown and/or changed and/or became an old stodge.

As for monitoring and censoring posts, I'm against that, but if you can come up with a way of taxing stupid posts for the benefit of macrumors, then, I'm all for that. Just imagine a $0.05 tax on all one line posts, and a special $1.00 tax on really offensive posts, and maybe a dime for uncensored swear words... we could make every member sign up with a credit card and bill monthly. Oh yeah, I'm getting all excited now.
mcrain is offline   0
Old May 10, 2002, 10:53 AM   #25
eyelikeart
Moderator emeritus
 
eyelikeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Metairie, LA
Quote:
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Age has nothing to do with implicit wisdom and ability to add to the conversation. Usually it just affects their ability to express themselves in a clear/coherent manner, since they haven't had as much time to develop communication skills.
I understand...it gives it about 10 times more impact when u start reading through some of jefhatfield's posts...

he can definitely go on & on...

but he has a lot of experience to back it all up...

always intelligent...almost always relevant...
eyelikeart is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Etiquette for selling? clutch-cargo Site and Forum Feedback 1 Apr 6, 2013 10:48 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC