Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old May 22, 2008, 04:12 AM   #1
youngplayer
macrumors member

Send a message via MSN to youngplayer
How to setup objective-c programming environment in windows XP

I've read a book introducing the Objective-c language,which mentioned that it's possible to setup the programming environment in window N5.x by installing cygwin and GNUStep. But it doesn't explain how to do so. And I tried failed. I don't know how to let cygwin and GNUStep work together, even not sure which verion of GNUStep is a MUST.

Does anybody here know it? Pls tell me, thank you!
youngplayer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2008, 06:00 PM   #2
mongrol
macrumors regular

Go to www.gnustep.org and read the documentation.
mongrol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2008, 02:22 AM   #3
youngplayer
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrol View Post
Go to www.gnustep.org and read the documentation.
Well, thank you for your advice. But I'm NOT familiar with GNUStep. It's my first time touch it! So I don't know what the documentation you refer is. Pls tell me the name of documentation, thank you!
Old May 23, 2008, 02:36 AM   #4
Cromulent
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngplayer View Post
Well, thank you for your advice. But I'm NOT familiar with GNUStep. It's my first time touch it! So I don't know what the documentation you refer is. Pls tell me the name of documentation, thank you!
The bit that says Users Guides on the right? I mean I've never used it myself but I can at least work that much out.
Cromulent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 02:13 PM   #5
Richard Shepher
macrumors newbie

Unfriendly bunch!

Blimey, you lot are unfriendly...!

I'd very much like to know how to do this as well. I've downloaded the GNUStep stuff, but I can see how to use it. The RTFM comments are no help, as the FM itself isn't very helpful...

I've tried following a couple of step-by-step "write your first app with GNUStep" pages, but they didn't work.

I don't suppose that I'll get any help from you unfriendly lot, but if anyone knows a good getting started with Objective C on Windows guide, please post it!

thanks,
Richard
Richard Shepher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 03:41 PM   #6
Amuraivel
macrumors member

Not quite, but similar

I ran across cocotron today, it is the Cocoa API that allows cross compiling to create windows binaries!

Program for mac, and get the win version for free:

COCOTRON

I haven't tried it because I have trouble enough with compiling for OS X, but looks like a cool idea.
Amuraivel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 04:35 PM   #7
Sijmen
macrumors 6502a

Cocotron is awesome but it still has limitations. Most importantly, there is no garbage collection. If you can live with that, go for it.
Sijmen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 10:46 PM   #8
HiRez
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Shepher View Post
Blimey, you lot are unfriendly...!
I think you're misinterpreting the tone and intent. I didn't see anyone here who was blatantly unfriendly, and really I think MacRumors has some of the most helpful people you will ever find on an online forum. Mongrel did some research for the poster and posted a link, and Cromulent tried to answer his question about where to read for more info. Just the fact that they bothered to post and tried to help means they are not "unfriendly". Don't blame them because you didn't find the documentation to your liking, they didn't write it. I'd suggest you complain to the GNUstep people instead.

And by the way, this is a Mac forum! Almost everyone here who is using Objective-C is doing so because it's how to write Mac software. Since you're asking about Windows software, maybe a Windows forum would be a better place to ask?
Old Jul 30, 2009, 05:31 AM   #9
randygland
macrumors newbie

unfriendly...

you were clearly being unfriendly
randygland is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2009, 01:42 AM   #10
youngplayer
macrumors member

Thank you all for your advice.
I'm in China where Windows PC is much more popular than Mac PC, so I thought it's a good solution to develop Mac software on Windows PC. But now, I've given up. I have got Macbook which costs 7000 Yuan(about $1000)

I'd like to come here to talk with you all.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 08:06 AM   #11
mags631

Quote:
I'm in China where Windows PC is much more popular than Mac PC, so I thought it's a good solution to develop Mac software on Windows PC. But now, I've given up. I have got Macbook which costs 7000 Yuan(about $1000)

I'd like to come here to talk with you all.
The Apple development page for Mac is located here.

From this page you can find and download the Xcode package. Xcode provides all the tools you need to start development on the Mac. It's free.

You can also find the technical documentation, video tutorials, and sample code here. I recommend starting with this document.

Good luck!
mags631 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 06:01 PM   #12
cleveraps
macrumors newbie

.net

If you just want to experiment, there's an Objective-C compiler for .NET (Windows) here: http://www.qckapp.com/index.html?p=ObjC
cleveraps is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2010, 08:49 PM   #13
larkost
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Welcome to the Mac side.

To maybe make you feel better about your purchase, while you can compile Obj-C with GCC, and the GNUStep libraries try to approximate the Foundation/AppKit libraries, they are not something you could develop a program on and expect to ship it for MacOS users on. Not only are there some decided differences in how thing visually lay out, they are not completely compatible, and Apple is always forging ahead.

You really did need to purchase a Mac to do Mac development, just as you would need to purchase a Windows computer to do development for it.
larkost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:25 PM   #14
lee1210
macrumors 68040

This is a super old thread. I'm guessing many involved haven't logged on in quite a while.

-Lee
lee1210 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:44 PM   #15
kainjow
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveraps View Post
If you just want to experiment, there's an Objective-C compiler for .NET (Windows) here: http://www.qckapp.com/index.html?p=ObjC
Care to post more details on this? E.g. like what classes can be used, syntax allowed, etc? I played around with it briefly and it works fairly well.
kainjow is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming