Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old May 22, 2008, 11:17 AM   #1
beau21
macrumors member

Something To Create GIF from Movie or .m4v File?

hey guys.

i'm looking for a way to create animated GIFs from movie clips. i used iMovie to edit the clip to what I want and then exported it as a .m4v clip. does anyone have a way i can covert my .m4v clips to GIFs? i looked in iMovie but couldn't find it.. and i looked in Quicktime Pro but didn't see it (i may have missed it in one of these apps though.. i just started using these programs)

thanks!
beau21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2008, 02:30 PM   #2
Consultant
macrumors G5

GIF is not desgined for exporting movies.

First of all, photos (a frame of video) do not look good as GIF, because GIF files has only limited color space.

Second, photos when converted to GIF will be larger than JPEG of the same quality (but JPEG cannot animate).

So when you convert a video to GIF, you will get a poor quality file that is large in size in comparison to other formats. And you get no sound with GIF.

You should export to mp4.

If you really want to make a gif animation, I suggest take screenshot of only a few frames, and put it into a graphics app that can make GIF from a collection of images.
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2008, 04:01 PM   #3
beau21
macrumors member

any recommendations for making gifs from downloaded video clips then instead of movies?

either that or a .m4v to .gif converter?
beau21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store