Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
Install OS 10.5 to use 64-bit mode. OS 10.4 and earlier are 32-bit and will not use more than 4GB.

Wrong. My G5 was able to recognise 6GB (even if it couldn't actually use it all in a single application) under 10.3, let alone 10.4 or 10.5. The poster should at least see it in system profiler.

airvine91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2008
Ok, but 32bit and 64bit do not explain my problem. 32 bit should at least recognize 3 or 4 gb however it only recognizes 2gb. And now my computer has been acting funny. The fans rev up real real loud and the computer locks up. Sometimes it doesn't even boot up. So now I just put back the old ram and everything seems fine. BUT I WANT MY 8gb that I paid for. What should I do to get the computer to recognize my 8gb properly? All 8 slots are taken up so this is not a matter of pairing or positions.

vga4life

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
Some of your RAM is almost certainly defective. You need to methodically install and test pairs to isolate the bad stick or sticks, then get replacements.

surflordca

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Download this to test your ram. It won't break you if you buy it. It's $1.39
http://www.memtestosx.org/
It takes a long time to test but worth it. I had a ram problem ran this and all was fine so I knew it was something else. It turned out to be a bad RISER card. Apple is sending me a new one...

webber187

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2008
Try This

I had the same problem but then I realised I had not pushed the ram cards in far enough .....you need to hear a click, not on all computers I know, but certainly on powermac G5's. Do one side at a time hear a click and then push other side.

((((DO NOT PUSH IN MIDDLE THEY MAY SNAP)))

Make sure your earthed by touching the outer metal casing too!!

Hope this works as it did for me!!

sash

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2004
Ok, but 32bit and 64bit do not explain my problem. 32 bit should at least recognize 3 or 4 gb however it only recognizes 2gb. And now my computer has been acting funny. The fans rev up real real loud and the computer locks up. Sometimes it doesn't even boot up. So now I just put back the old ram and everything seems fine. BUT I WANT MY 8gb that I paid for. What should I do to get the computer to recognize my 8gb properly? All 8 slots are taken up so this is not a matter of pairing or positions.

Hi,

If you're sure that you've installed DIMMs correctly, than just send your whole order back to newegg and demand the replacement. Although... 6 damaged DIMMs in one time?!

10.4 did support that much RAM for sure.

sash

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Hi,

If you're sure that you've installed DIMMs correctly, than just send your whole order back to newegg and demand the replacement. Although... 6 damaged DIMMs in one time?!

10.4 did support that much RAM for sure.

sash

Yup. User error. Happens when most people install RAM the first time.

(except most people figure out, within minutes, that they did not insert the RAM correctly).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.