Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
I read about this problem somewhere on here and now I cant find it (of course). THis makes me nervous, this is the 3rd time its done this, all three times it has been after the computer has be awaken from sleep. After the computer has been restarted it doesn't happen, unless I close it, it goes to sleep, and then open it and try to browse the internet or whatever. I have tried a PRAM reset, did that last night. I have repaired permissions, 3 times since Tuesday(Have used onyx to do this, and the disk utility). When trying to look for answers last night I came across something that said it only happens in Safari, could this be? Does it make sense? I'll download FireFox, if you guys thing it would be worth it to try out. Thanks so much in advance, after spending as much money as I have on this computer this is not a great feeling.
Also, just to keep in mind believe it or not I really dont want to just take it back and exchange it, I have gotten everything loaded on here and dont want to have to start over. What do you guys think?:eek: This problem is also going on as I type this, see attached..... agggggg
Restarting my computer now......
Here are links to these also so you can get a bigger view.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2376/2514317411_43f519e163_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3017/2514317277_e5b81f0170_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3035/2515141608_15d006d69a_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2241/2514316965_13885a6e6b_b.jpg

2514317411_43f519e163.jpg

2514317277_e5b81f0170.jpg

2514316965_13885a6e6b.jpg

SgtDuty

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
THIS USED TO HAPPEN TO ME, and maybe still does! I find white boxes flashing, as well as your issue. I have posted numerous times, no one seems to have an answer. Also mine affects Safari, Finder and iTunes, in addition to many others, these being the most effected. Just a quick question, where did you get the Macintosh HD image you have? I have noticed this only happens when your in sleep mode for extended periods of time, such as the duration of time at which you are asleep, or at work/school.

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
THIS USED TO HAPPEN TO ME, and maybe still does! I find white boxes flashing, as well as your issue. I have posted numerous times, no one seems to have an answer. Also mine affects Safari, Finder and iTunes, in addition to many others, these being the most effected. Just a quick question, where did you get the Macintosh HD image you have? I have noticed this only happens when your in sleep mode for extended periods of time, such as the duration of time at which you are asleep, or at work/school.
You said this used to happen to you? Did you get a exchanged computer? Or did it just kinda go away?
I got my icons from interface lift
Here is a link to the one for my HD Icon
http://interfacelift.com/icons-mac/details.php?id=1867

SgtDuty

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
To be honest, this was not my major issue, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqqZoCZ9ZnM
It never went away, actual today it didn't happen, although I have found no way to fix it, and this may sound ridiculous but I haven't been to a mac store since it happened (3 months ago) with the computer, because I didn't want to get my hard drive erased or something along those lines, before I new the facts. Honestly my best suggestion is to call apple support, again something I haven't done, because sometimes it annoys me but I have to much homework to deal with it. Thanks for the image, although it's reissuring to know it isn't just you with the problem, because it seems NO ONE else with a MacBook Pro has it. Also if this madders I have a Santa Rosa.

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
To be honest, this was not my major issue, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqqZoCZ9ZnM
It never went away, actual today it didn't happen, although I have found no way to fix it, and this may sound ridiculous but I haven't been to a mac store since it happened (3 months ago) with the computer, because I didn't want to get my hard drive erased or something along those lines, before I new the facts. Honestly my best suggestion is to call apple support, again something I haven't done, because sometimes it annoys me but I have to much homework to deal with it. Thanks for the image, although it's reissuring to know it isn't just you with the problem, because it seems NO ONE else with a MacBook Pro has it. Also if this madders I have a Santa Rosa.
hmmm, if its not common at all I wonder if it is worth just returning it and getting another one? Because chances should be I wouldnt get one that does this again....But then again maybe I would get a exchange that has the sound issues or screen issues that everyone talks about....ahhhhh!!!! What to do, what to do?:confused::confused::confused:....My computer was restarted and put to sleep since my original post, im now back and obviously woke it from sleep and the "issue" is happening as I type.

SgtDuty

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
It just happened to me and I had to restart as well. I am thinking of bringing mine to the apple store this weekend. Maybe I can exchange it for a pynren. Just a question can you extract your hard drive or swap it, if you exchange, because I have a Macupdate Promo bundle on mine which I do not want to lose.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
It just happened to me and I had to restart as well. I am thinking of bringing mine to the apple store this weekend. Maybe I can exchange it for a pynren. Just a question can you extract your hard drive or swap it, if you exchange, because I have a Macupdate Promo bundle on mine which I do not want to lose.

I don't see why they would swap a Peryn for you, but this sounds like they would replace your logic board though,

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
Anyone have any ideas or solutions to my problem?!:confused:
EDIT: It seems like this problem is only happening in Safari, seems odd it would be in Safari. I downloaded FireFox and my computer has been put to sleep numorious times tonight and nothing is happening in Firefox but in Safari its a mess.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
if permissions repair doesnt work they'll probably recommend an archive/install.

brkirch

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2001
IIRC that problem has nothing to do with faulty hardware, but rather is the fault of the buggy Flash plug-in (many ads use Flash now, unfortunately). I used to have the same problem with my 2GHz MacBook Pro, but the problem would always go away if I disabled plug-ins. If you have the problem again, try downloading the Flash plug-in from Adobe's site and reinstalling it.

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
IIRC that problem has nothing to do with faulty hardware, but rather is the fault of the buggy Flash plug-in (many ads use Flash now, unfortunately). I used to have the same problem with my 2GHz MacBook Pro, but the problem would always go away if I disabled plug-ins. If you have the problem again, try downloading the Flash plug-in from Adobe's site and reinstalling it.
I'll keep that in mind, thanks! Thats kinda weird that its wasn't a hardware problem and yet they were very nice in just replacing it for me. Maybe it was cause I just got it last Tuesday?

JacobC

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2008
I'll keep that in mind, thanks! Thats kinda weird that its wasn't a hardware problem and yet they were very nice in just replacing it for me. Maybe it was cause I just got it last Tuesday?

I think it's just because Apple is so freaking awesome. Seriously! They are so freaking awesome with returns!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

Yes, because you got it last Tuesday. They wouldn't do a swap like that after the 2 week return/exchange period.

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
Here Comes Part 2!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same problem as when I started this thread, I'm now on my 2nd Macbook Pro with the specs that are in my signature. Haven't had a problem, tell yesterday. I updated to 10.5.3, could this be why or is it a coincidence?
2nd. Is this a hardware problem or a driver/software problem with the video card? Im willing to do just wait it out of its a driver/software problem and whenever a update comes out it will fix it. Its just really annoying to spend this much money on something and have it not work right:mad:

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
seems like its an issue with Safari's rendering of websites.

just stick with Firefox.

try an archive/install or since it is a new computer, a clean install.

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
seems like its an issue with Safari's rendering of websites.

just stick with Firefox.
This is kinda what I thought too, however, this time I got a little more in depth in seeing if it was just Safari. When I view the iTunes store it also shows that something is going on. The words dont stick but when scrolling down there are white squares that seems like their flashing, only while your scrolling, as soon as you stop scrolling the flashing white squares stop.:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.