Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old May 22, 2008, 09:44 PM   #1
NickV-WDMS
macrumors newbie

iPhone won't charge or connect to computer

I have a few month old iPhone. Recently, it's been acting glitchy when trying to connect it via the provided cable to either my computer or the wall plug. At first, it would take a jiggle of the cable for it to charge the phone, otherwise it would act as if nothing was plugged in. Now, it won't even see the cable, whether it's to the wall, to the computer, with or without the dock stand.

I have two cables that I have tried, and I've verified that the cables are OK because they both work with my iPod nano, it connects to the computer and it works with the charger.

Any ideas? I've set up a "tech session" with someone at the local Apple store tomorrow, but I'm afraid my battery might run down before then.

I've tried restarting it, and also resetting all the settings via the phone itself.
NickV-WDMS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2008, 09:57 PM   #2
PACMAC
macrumors regular

try checking the iphone on the bottom were you plug the usb cable..could be that one of your pins on the the iphones connections are lose ..or something could be in it preventing it from having a good connections to the usb plug..blow it out with a duster..
PACMAC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2008, 07:14 AM   #3
NickV-WDMS
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACMAC View Post
try checking the iphone on the bottom were you plug the usb cable..could be that one of your pins on the the iphones connections are lose ..or something could be in it preventing it from having a good connections to the usb plug..blow it out with a duster..
I can't "see" anything loose, but I am far from an expert.

I tried blowing it out with the air duster, no dice.
Old May 23, 2008, 10:58 AM   #4
PACMAC
macrumors regular

Have you drop your iPhone ? Or maybe got water on it?

Seem like this would be a hardware issue than software ..
just take it back to apple ..
Old May 23, 2008, 11:58 AM   #5
NickV-WDMS
macrumors newbie

Negative. No dropping, no water.

I guess I'll just see what they say at the store today.
Old May 23, 2008, 06:27 PM   #6
NickV-WDMS
macrumors newbie

Well, I got a replacement iPhone. The "Apple Genius" people were very friendly. I told them the problem and they took a look at it, tried it out, and confirmed that the pins had messed up, either lost their connectivity or something, who knows. Just a defect.
Old May 23, 2008, 08:23 PM   #7
PACMAC
macrumors regular

great....now what happens when iphones that need to be replaced because of defects ect..will they give you 3G iphone when theres no more first gen iphones..when the 3Gs are out..or they will have to get it repair or apple has back ups of regular iphones that they stock and dont sell it just for replacments..
Old Jan 22, 2011, 02:03 PM   #8
Pink∆Floyd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickV-WDMS View Post
Well, I got a replacement iPhone. The "Apple Genius" people were very friendly. I told them the problem and they took a look at it, tried it out, and confirmed that the pins had messed up, either lost their connectivity or something, who knows. Just a defect.
Apple's customer service is the best, another great story
Pink∆Floyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting