Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Decrepit

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Foothills to the Rocky Mountains
Hi there,

I have a very crappy camera. I am looking for ideas on what people think would make a good entry level camera for somebody who wants to take pictures in concert lighting conditions and from Mars (where my sporting event seats generally are)

I appreciate your input.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Canon 40D or D300.

Soon to be Nikon D90 may work as well. Those are only mentioned for the autofocus and frames per second speed.

Where you will really need to shine is in the glass, especially at concerts.

For concerts, 85mm 1.4 or equivalent.
For sports, 70-200 for close range and anything above 300mm or a tele converter for everything else.

Maybe a fisheye every once in a blue moon which you can borrow.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Well if entry level means inexpensive -- it won't happen easily. Good glass will run you many many hundreds of dollars, and the body doesn't matter as much. Budget $1500 at BARE minimum.

You might look at a bridge camera like a Canon S5. Long zoom and I think you get some manual control.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
...and from Mars (where my sporting event seats generally are)
I appreciate your input.

"Sports photos from Mars" is the second most expensive photographic genre I can think of. Second only to shooting wildlife. You are talking mid four digit budget. The thing the makes it so expensive is the needs for long and fast lenses.

Concets in small clubs/bars are better because you can get close but you still are going to need a fast lens.

What camera body you hang off the back of the lens falls under "details" Nikon, Canon, 40D, D40, ..., almost any of them will do but in general people who can afford those expensive lenses typically can also afford an expensive body so that is what they buy. Shop for the lens FIRST.

You can save a LOT of money be getting close. Shoot ameture leagues. The adult soccor games will let you stand on the sidelines.

Decrepit

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Foothills to the Rocky Mountains
"Sports photos from Mars" is the second most expensive photographic genre I can think of. Second only to shooting wildlife. You are talking mid four digit budget.
The thing the makes it so expensive is the needs for long and fast lenses.

Concets in small clubs/bars are better because you can get close but you still are going to need a fast lens.

What camera body you hang off the back of the lens falls under "details" and almost any of them will do but in general people who can afford those expensive lenses typically can also afford an expensive body so that is what they buy.

You can save a LOT of money be getting close. Shoot ameture leagues. The adult soccor games will let you stand on the sidelines.

I have season tickets 11 off the glass to a minor minor league hockey team. And I'm too busy watching to photograph it. :) Pucks in the head are bad for your health.

When I had NFL season tickets, I think I was closer to the ice rink next door than the field. :)

I'm not trying to be a real photographer, just one that can get non-blurry pictures of stuff once in a while. So, the mid 4-digits are out, I'll leave the real photography to the experts.

Good info. I didn't know the lenses were the big part of the action. I appreciate your response as well as the other ones. I have some subjects that I'd put myself as a real expert. Then there are those like this one, where you'll be lucky if I can find the "on" button for the camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.