Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Hi there,

I'd been mucking with the /etc/authorization file (long story, but short version: playing with kerberos and trying to do stuff that's not documented) and managed to mess things up enough that when 1) I couldn't get out of the screensaver; and 2) when I rebooted, it came up in a command line mode! Now this was easily fixed since I had backed up the auth file before i started playing, but: Does OS X have an "official" command line mode the way Linux or BSD does? If so, can you start the graphical OS X from the command line?

I know this is kind of an odd combination of newbie and advanced question. I'm a Red Hat linux switcher over to OS X, and they're just similar enough to fool me into sometimes thinking I know what I'm doing. :)

Thanks!

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Im sorry if this doesnt answer your question but...

OSX has a feature called Single User mode, which is essentially a command line only screen. People normally use it to run disk utilities if their OS has gone south, but Im pretty sure it has many other uses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.