Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old May 23, 2008, 10:02 PM   #1
samuir
macrumors newbie

Does Skype able to be use in dubai?

hi there...previously i posted a question on "why cant i connect using ICHAT to dubai"...understand that there are also alot more application which can support that, so i wanna check whether DOES SKYPE able to be use over in dubai? if yes what are the setting which i need to take note...pls share..thanks alot
samuir is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 04:29 AM   #2
Jaschr
macrumors member

Samuir,
I met somebody who used Skype to speak with relatives in Dubai with his MBP. Skype is blocked on my network, but I would check out their support site (www.support.skype.com). I'm not an internet expert, but I'm pretty sure Dubai connects to the same internet as everybody else on the planet. It is probably firewall, or similar issue.
Old May 27, 2008, 04:52 AM   #3
chrono1081
macrumors 604

It worked for me when I was in Dubai. I didn't change any settings. It all depends on the network you connect to.
Old May 29, 2008, 07:47 AM   #4
donaldf
macrumors newbie

How to unblock Skype in Dubai and UAE with Witopia personnalVPN for Mac

Hello,

After travelling in Dubai (UAE) and in China, I found a software that unblock Skype and censored contents in some countries.

I know Skype is blocked or there is censor in the following countries : Belize, China, Columbia, Cuba, Jordan, UAE ...

After searching internet, I found a way to make calls and to access censored content in those countries using a VPN (Virtual Private Network).

How does it works ?

A VPN encrypte the data you send on internet to a US IP adress (tunnel). This way your Internet Services Provider can't detect you are using Skype or another VoIP software ! It allow you access to censored content and geographical locked contents (i.e: listening radio on pandora.com , watching TV streams for US residents, ...).

There is a lot of VPN softwares, the first I tried was VPNaccounts. I didn't like it because it took a lot of time for activation, it was expensive and helpdesk support was very slow.

A friend of mine who lives in Belize told me about another VPN software called Witopia personnalVPN.

Now I am using Witopia personnalVPN. It is easier to use (you just have to launch the software before launching Skype), faster and cheaper than all other VPN softwares I tried.

It costs 39.99$ and works perfectly.

You can download it from the editor's website : WiTopia personnalVPN

Works on Windows and Mac .

I hope this post will help people who are in those countries and reducing censorship !

--
donaldf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2008, 08:06 AM   #5
Augmented 4th
macrumors newbie

You may also be able to set up Skype to connect via Tor, a network of anonymous servers located in various countries over the world. The benefit of this approach is that unless one person owns ever single server that the connection is routed through, there is no way of knowing what you are transmitting, or even that you are transmitting everything.

Normally when you set Tor up it makes your computer into one of these servers, but this can easily be disabled.
Augmented 4th is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2008, 08:11 AM   #6
velocityg4
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldf View Post
Hello,

After travelling in Dubai (UAE) and in China, I found a software that unblock Skype and censored contents in some countries.

I know Skype is blocked or there is censor in the following countries : Belize, China, Columbia, Cuba, Jordan, UAE ...

After searching internet, I found a way to make calls and to access censored content in those countries using a VPN (Virtual Private Network).

How does it works ?

A VPN encrypte the data you send on internet to a US IP adress (tunnel). This way your Internet Services Provider can't detect you are using Skype or another VoIP software ! It allow you access to censored content and geographical locked contents (i.e: listening radio on pandora.com , watching TV streams for US residents, ...).

There is a lot of VPN softwares, the first I tried was VPNaccounts. I didn't like it because it took a lot of time for activation, it was expensive and helpdesk support was very slow.

A friend of mine who lives in Belize told me about another VPN software called Witopia personnalVPN.

Now I am using Witopia personnalVPN. It is easier to use (you just have to launch the software before launching Skype), faster and cheaper than all other VPN softwares I tried.

I hope this post will help people who are in those countries and reducing censorship !

--
Well if you got caught you had better be willing to take the punishment. Whatever that is.

I would recommend against it unless you are willing to undergo what is probably a severe punishment.
velocityg4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 01:11 AM   #7
Bebelier
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldf View Post
Hello,

How does it works ?

--
Please read carefully the link that "donaldf"is posting is not the same as WiTopia which is cheaper for the same service. Just $39.99 A YEAR not a month. here the link:
http://witopia.net/

For the fellow "velocityg4" that is talking about punishment I kindly invite him to revise the laws in Dubai. Please check this link from the tra (Telecommunications Regulations Authority) in UAE. At least pc to pc is not a against the law.

http://tra.ae/pdf/policies_regulations/FAQVoIPFinal.pdf
Bebelier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 05:09 AM   #8
benbrooks
macrumors newbie

I dont know many expats in Dubai or Abu Dhabi that don't have some form of monthly subscription to a VPN service nowdays. Not just for unblocking Skype but for watching BBC & ITV iPlayers. So many different ones out there now, usually 5-10 dollars a month. I was using http://www.laptoptelly.com for a few months earlier on in the year, did the trick. Plenty of review sites to compare the different ones on offer now, if you have time to traul through.
benbrooks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 04:07 PM   #9
danmoss
macrumors newbie

Only trouble with the Hotspot Shield is that it seems to be bundled with spyware, not too sure Channel 4OD works on it either now.
Best bet I guess is to go for a paid service, but one that's cheap enough.
I saw this one for 2.99

http://www.watchiplayer.com/trialoffer.html
danmoss is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help