Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ColinEC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
Today I installed Giants Citizen Kabuto on my Intel iMac w/Mac OS X 10.5.2, but it doesn't work!

I can launch the game (it takes a while for it to launch), and when it finally does the menu is pushed to the top of the screen where I cannot see it.

Is anyone else having problems playing Giants Citizen Kabuto under Leopard?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I hope there's a solution! It's a great game that I never finished and still want to. I was pleased to hear that it ran OK on Intel via Rosetta... but maybe not with Leopard.

Random idea: if it's a screen-positioning glitch, would running in windowed mode help? Is there a config file you could edit to make that happen? What about Exposé, does hitting the Show All Windows key bring it into view so you at least know it's all there? (I know you can't fully interact in Exposé.)

I actually have a very vague recollection of having to solve some menu problem way back when the game was new, on PowerPC. But it's been too long for me to remember.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Given that it's a MacPlay game, did you really expect it to survive an OS upgrade? :eek:

I'll give it a go on my Leopard system once I have a few minutes, and will let you know how I get on.

ColinEC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
Hey guys, I fixed the problem.

When I launched Giants, the menu would be pushed to the top of the screen but I could still read what menu item I had selected.

So I used the arrow buttons to select options, graphics, then resolution. I noticed the resolution was set to "800x600x32".

I quit the game, opened System Preferences and set my resolution to 800x600 and launched the game again - it worked!

Basically I set my desktop resolution to match the games resolution to get the menus to align, then I could play the game!

So to use the game without the menu getting pushed to the top, your desktop resolution must be set to the game's resolution before starting it (if that makes sense).

For example, if you set the games resolution to 1680x1050 you must set your desktop resolution to 1680x1050 or else the menu will be pushed to the top.

quarkmac

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
I don't understand how you got Giants to work under Leopard in the first place!!! I've been trying forever, but whenever I open the App, it just quits right away with an error message! So I partitioned my Hard Drive and installed 10.4 on it and it played Giants but it freezes a LOT.

How do you get Giants to play in Leopard!? I really want to play it! Help!

Thanks!

Some other guys on macosx.com also are having the same problem!

LINK: http://macosx.com/forums/mac-games/300423-giants-citizen-kabuto-problems.html

BigYellow

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2006
Canada
I actually emailed MacPlay on this a while ago (I have a Mac Pro now, but at the time I was using a Dual 2.7GHz G5). This was what I asked:

I found my old copy of Giants the other day, and decided to install it on my G5. After using the OS X install workaround, and installing the Build 7 patch, I opened the game. The first time I opened it, it crashed at the profile selection screen. The next time, at the graphics options screen. Every time I launch it, it crashes in less than a minute, and it always seems to be when the G5's fans get going hard.

I'm using a PowerMac G5 dual 2.7ghz, with an ATI Radeon X850XT 256MB card, 250GB HD, 1GB RAM, with Mac OS X 10.4.6 installed.

Is there any way to be able to play this game?

This was their reply:

Hello,

This is a problem we are following with the dual processor machines. For
the time being, use the following instructions to turn off the 2nd
processor. Please note that following instructions is an UNSUPPORTED
WORK-AROUND. It is NOT recommended that anyone other than experienced
users attempt to disable the processor.

Go to your Applications folder and open the file named Utilities. In
Utilities you will see an application named Terminal. Terminal is the
gateway into the world of Unix (Darwin specifically) through Mac OS X.
Double-click on the Terminal application to launch it.

Once inside Terminal, you will see something that closely resembles
this:

Welcome to Darwin!
[johndoe's-Computer:~] johndoe%_

The underscore symbol (_) shown at the prompt denotes where your cursor
is. When you are at this point, type the following text:

sudo nvram boot-args="cpus=1"

You must type the above line exaclty as it appears. You may copy and
paste this command from here into the terminal application if you wish.
Press return after you have entered the command. You will be prompted
for a password at this point. So far, your screen should look like this:

Welcome to Darwin!
[johndoe's-Computer:~] johndoe% sudo nvram boot-args="cpus=1"
Password:_

Type in the administrator's password that you created when you installed
OS 10.x.x. When you have entered the password, press return. Note that
as you are typing, the cursor will not advance and you will not be able
to see your password as you enter it. Rest assured that your password is
there... it is just not being displayed. This is a Unix-ism.

After you have successfully entered the Administrator's password and
pressed return, the terminal will then provide you with the initial
prompt. If you have done everything correctly, your terminal window will
look like this at this point:

Welcome to Darwin!
[johndoe's-Computer:~] johndoe% sudo nvram boot-args="cpus=1"
Password:
[johndoe's-Computer:~] johndoe%_

When you have reached this point, the modicfication has been completed.
You must now quit Terminal and restart your computer. If you received an
error message at anytime like "Command not found", Try again. You may
have mis-typed something.

Whenever you wish to turn the 2nd processor back on, you with substitute
"cpus=1" for "cpus=2". The command will look like this:

Welcome to Darwin!
[johndoe's-Computer:~] johndoe% sudo nvram boot-args="cpus=2"
Password:

Thank you,

MacPlay Customer Support

Seeing as how (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) every Mac in the current lineup has at least 2 processor cores in it, I'm assuming it's not going to work without using this workaround.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
All that Terminal hocus-pocus is hardly necessary; just use the Processor preferences pane and turn off CPUs/cores as necessary there. (That does need the CHUD tools installed if you haven't already though.)

--Eric

Jul 16, 2008
All that Terminal hocus-pocus is hardly necessary; just use the Processor preferences pane and turn off CPUs/cores as necessary there. (That does need the CHUD tools installed if you haven't already though.)

--Eric

Where can you find the Processor preferences after you install CHUD tools? I Can't find it in my System preferences.

*Oh never mind, I found it.

Gahoo

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2008
Could someone maybe explain how to turn off the processor using CHUD tools in a bit more detail?

ColinEC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
Install the Processor Preference Pane:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071116183942199

Hidden in the Developer Tools package, there is a System Preferences panel that serves the same purpose as this hint about the CPU Palette.

After installing Xcode, navigate to /Developer » Extras » PreferencePanes, and then double-click on Processor.prefPane to install it. The Processor panel will add itself in the Hardware (not Other) section within System Preferences.

Using this panel, you can do everything you can do with the CPU Palette, minus the graphs but plus some L2 Cache and frontside bus info. The best part, however, is the fact that you can use the panel to add a menu bar item that replaces CPU Palette. From the menu bar icon, you'll have access to the preference pane, the option to use two or one cores, and the CPU Palette itself.

If you don't feel like installing Xcode and all of it's entirety you could possibly use Pacifist to install just the preference pane.

Using that you can I believe it's possible to disable the second core/processor.

Zortrium

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003

--Eric

Just as a general FYI, this dual core 'bug' is also present in some other MacPlay games, notably Baldur's Gate 2 - the game refused to run on my dual-core G5 until I disabled one of the cores, as described.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.