Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
I haven't seen this really talked about much elsewhere, so I thought I'd share my experience. I just did a fresh install of Windows XP SP3 on my Boot Camp partition, and installed Boot Camp 2.0 (then upgraded to 2.1) after the Win XP SP3 install.

It worked fine. So if anyone wants to get a clean install of Windows with their own slipstreamed disc, go for it. This is on a Santa Rosa MacBook Pro. Details here:
http://yocto.wordpress.com/2008/05/24/completing-the-cycle-fresh-boot-camp-with-windows-xp-sp3/

Cheers.

chem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Just out of curiosity is there even a need to run the installer for 2.0 at all? Can you just use the 2.1 package?

Well, my ethernet wasn't detected by Windows, so I needed to get that working first. I could have burned Boot Camp 2.1 to a disc beforehand and perhaps tried it, but the simplest route was to just install Boot Camp 2.0 from the Leopard disc. I also wanted to see how smoothly the Apple Software Updater handled Boot Camp updates. It was pretty easy.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Well, my ethernet wasn't detected by Windows, so I needed to get that working first. I could have burned Boot Camp 2.1 to a disc beforehand and perhaps tried it, but the simplest route was to just install Boot Camp 2.0 from the Leopard disc. I also wanted to see how smoothly the Apple Software Updater handled Boot Camp updates. It was pretty easy.

Glad it worked out for you. I had all sorts of glitches when I updated Boot Camp from 2.0 to 2.1. It created problems with my iSight, external aluminum keyboard, and bluetooth. Plus, I was not the only one. The Apple sponsored forum was loaded with complaints about 2.1 and the problems it was causing.

I wound up reverting back to 2.0 and everything returned to normal after running system restore from XP. BTW, I have XP Home SP3 running on a Boot Camp partition (version 2.0) without any problems whatsoever.

I've come to the conclusion that 2.1 does nothing for XP SP3 and looks to me like it only corrects problems that folks were having with Vista.

Regards.

chem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Glad it worked out for you. I had all sorts of glitches when I updated Boot Camp from 2.0 to 2.1. It created problems with my iSight, external aluminum keyboard, and bluetooth.

Well, sorry to hear that. I've used boot camp 2.1 for a full weekend now and haven't had any problems. I did have to re-pair my bluetooth mouse (as expected after a fresh windows install...) but that was no big deal.

BC 2.1 includes upgraded NVidia drivers, which is a plus for anyone who boots to Windows for gaming -- which is 90% of what I do in Windows. OS X for everything else.

hobycook

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2008
How did you do that?

I have not tried a slipstreamed XP Sp3 CD as the initial install yet, but I have experienced what happens when you install SP3 over SP2 before before the Boot Camp 2.1 Update is installed. If you do that, the Boot Camp Update 2.1 will fail to run, and I have not been able to find anything that will fix this (including reg hacks, uninstalling Sp3, etc) short of restoring the mac to a single volume, repartitioning and reinstalling Windows.

So, how did you get Boot Camp Update 2.1 to run, if you installed straight from the slipstreamed SP3 disk?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.