Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old May 25, 2008, 04:49 AM   #1
teknikal90
macrumors 65816

accidentally deleted 'system preference' -.-

hey all
not my problem, but a friend's.
he was being stupid and thought...hey what happens if i delete system preference...
he did and emptied his rubbish bin.
now hes asking me what to do to restore it back......

thats pretty silly of apple to allow us to delete 'system preferences'...
teknikal90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2008, 04:52 AM   #2
Killyp
macrumors 68040

I was actually thinking it's pretty stupid how your friend went and deleted it - not how Apple allows users to do what they want on their computers...

If you and him both have the same version of OS X, then you could just take the App across on a USB key or email it to him.
Killyp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2008, 05:52 AM   #3
Shadow
macrumors 68000

Send a message via MSN to Shadow
OP: If you have the same version of Mac OS X you could put one into Firewire Target Mode and transfer the app over; or use a USB pen; over the network etc.

Alternatively, try installing the combo updater for the version of OS X that he/she's running - its a long shot as I dont think System Preferences is usually updated but its worth a try.

Last edited by Mitthrawnuruodo; May 26, 2008 at 04:15 AM. Reason: removed reference to deleted post
Shadow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2008, 06:59 AM   #4
Ubuntu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killyp View Post
I was actually thinking it's pretty stupid how your friend went and deleted it - not how Apple allows users to do what they want on their computers...

If you and him both have the same version of OS X, then you could just take the App across on a USB key or email it to him.
I'll agree, although, I do recall the time when Apple let you edit the home name in the Finder window, only for it to essentially destroy your account. I guess that counts as Apple allowing users to do what they want on their computers.
Old May 25, 2008, 07:22 AM   #5
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

Not a big deal, just restores that user account to factory settings.

Though cannot remember all of what the actual System Pref file controls.

Not unusual for the need to trash a file because they get corrupted (cough Network prefs) and cause issues.
Old May 25, 2008, 09:18 AM   #6
merl1n
macrumors 65816

If he/she is running Leopard and been doing Time Machine backups, its very easy to restore.
Old May 26, 2008, 02:10 AM   #7
teknikal90
macrumors 65816

thing is...friend/cousin of mine lives in indonesia...
ahah
and he is running leopard but doesnt do time machine.

im telling him to do factory settings thing...but would he have to backup all his itunes music etc??

pretty silly problem to have.....he came form windows and he was like......wtf,this is like me uninstalling 'control panel'...

but i wonder, if he has system preferences deleted, he wouldnt be able to have wifi on would he?since wifi is under 'system preferences....if so...how is he connected via internet and talking to me right now...
teknikal90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008, 04:00 AM   #8
raymondu999
macrumors 65816

Well, he could activate wireless on the menubar....
11" 1.3GHz Core i5 2013 MBA
raymondu999 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008, 04:10 AM   #9
Silver-Fox
macrumors 65816

OP:

you can just copy the app to usb stick, that should work fine most people have suggested that

Last edited by Mitthrawnuruodo; May 26, 2008 at 04:18 AM. Reason: removed reference to deleted post
Silver-Fox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008, 04:12 AM   #10
richard.mac
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to richard.mac
tell you cousin to download a free trial of Pacifist and then follow these steps.
  1. insert the first grey install DVD
  2. open Pacifist and click "Open Apple Install Discs"
  3. click skip when it asks you for the second install DVD and then insert the first again
  4. search for "system preferences" in the toolbar and press enter
  5. click the Install button in the toolbar and supply the admininstator password
System Preferences will then be reinstalled. in Leopard System Preferences is version 5.0 right now so the version on the Leopard install disc wont be outdated. however if your cousin is using Tiger it might not be the right version.

Last edited by richard.mac; May 26, 2008 at 04:21 AM.
richard.mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008, 04:21 AM   #11
sammich
macrumors 601

Just an aside...why is there all of a sudden a whole lot of these 'oops i accidentally deleted <important OS file>'?
Old May 26, 2008, 02:24 PM   #12
Siron
macrumors 6502

I know it's a silly thing to do but I agree with the OP that it's akin to deleting Control Panel in Windows (which it will not allow you to do). Now if you go into the Registry and start messing around, you can screw things up.
It's a little silly of Apple to allow you to do this without at least a warning - you know like:
DO YOU REALLY WANT TO DELETE YOUR SYSTEM FOLDER? Y/N
Alan
Old May 26, 2008, 02:47 PM   #13
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

If he deleted the System Preferences, the plist files, no biggie. System reverts to factory setting, and you just go in and reset them.

If he deleted the application System Preferences. Not a big deal but you will need to extract the application off the DVD. Doesn't reset anything, just makes it hard to change things until you stick it back on the drive.

---

If you are on OS X, same version, just e-mail the app to this person.
Old May 26, 2008, 09:39 PM   #14
teknikal90
macrumors 65816

problem solved.
that email thing worked.
thanks guys.
and yeh, id like to see apple take more precautions on this...yes its our fault...but for newbies....a reminder message like....ARE YOU SURE???....would be nice..
teknikal90 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008, 09:45 PM   #15
orpheus1120
macrumors 65816

Well Im not sure about you guys, but when I tried to delete System Preference from my Application folder, system prompted me to enter my Admin password.

I think that's sorta like saying "ARE YOU SURE?" to me.
orpheus1120 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008, 10:07 PM   #16
trainguy77
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to trainguy77 Send a message via MSN to trainguy77 Send a message via Yahoo to trainguy77
Quote:
Originally Posted by teknikal90 View Post
pretty silly problem to have.....he came form windows and he was like......wtf,this is like me uninstalling 'control panel'...
Sad part about that is its been done. I came into work one day and went to work on one of the system at work. Control Panel was gone. Completely.....how i don't know but it was not fun to fix. The user of that machine has a habit of accidentally doing that type of thing.
trainguy77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 02:04 PM   #17
sksmithsunset
macrumors newbie

Help me plz!!!!!!!!!

I really need help i keep trying to down load my internet to my computer and it wont let me pull up my system preferance.....?i dont know wheat to do...? will sumone plz help me....?
sksmithsunset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 02:08 PM   #18
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sksmithsunset View Post
I really need help i keep trying to down load my internet to my computer and it wont let me pull up my system preferance.....?i dont know wheat to do...? will sumone plz help me....?
You need to explain more of what is happening. Is your system preferences icon on the dock gone? What does this have to do with "downloading the internet" (I assume you mean Safari)?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 05:34 PM   #19
BlueRevolution
macrumors 601

[unhelpful aside]
http://www.cartridgesave.co.uk/news/...-the-internet/
[/unhelpful aside]

Please go over in detail what you're trying to do and how exactly it is failing to work as expected. Thanks for searching, although I'm not convinced that your problem has anything to do with the original topic.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 01:03 PM   #20
cacarl
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknikal90 View Post
hey all
not my problem, but a friend's.
he was being stupid and thought...hey what happens if i delete system preference...
he did and emptied his rubbish bin.
now hes asking me what to do to restore it back......

thats pretty silly of apple to allow us to delete 'system preferences'...

HI

I have the same prob, what should i do? but i've checked in my Macintosh HD, user, library then, PrefrencesPanes, its in their.
any body knows how to restore my system preferences??
cacarl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2011, 01:50 PM   #21
Daffodil
macrumors 6502

Since there are several scenarios listed above, which one applies to you? You deleted it from your dock and want it back, or you deleted the file?

If it's simply gone from your dock, open the applications folder in finder and drag it back into your dock. If you deleted the file, have you tried the solutions mentioned above? What were your results? (And why would you delete it?? )

Last edited by Hellhammer; Jul 19, 2011 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Removed reference to deleted post
Daffodil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:53 PM   #22
CaMike
macrumors newbie

Hi, I have the same problem, could anybody with Panther email me the System Preferences app???
CaMike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 04:19 AM   #23
Hansr
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaMike View Post
Hi, I have the same problem, could anybody with Panther email me the System Preferences app???
Too random, almost no one uses Panther anymore. Use Pacifist.
Hansr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 08:07 PM   #24
Tyler23
macrumors 601

Could anyone e-mail me the System Preferences app for SL?

My mom somehow accidentally deleted hers. I am currently running Lion so mine would not work on her computer.

Let me know if you would be willing to do that and I will pm you my address.

It would be greatly appreciated, she needs it to work with settings needed urgently for her music composition software.
Tyler23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 06:25 AM   #25
Hansr
macrumors 6502a

If no one posts it today, I can post the 10.6.8 one tonight. But you can also use the 10.6.8 combo update + pacifist to install it.
Hansr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help