Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old May 25, 2008, 06:01 AM   #1
stemo99
macrumors newbie

GPS and iMac compatability

I want to purchase a GPS unit for my motorcycle and car. Which GPS units will work with a iMac for software upgrades that become available. If any of you now have a GPS that's iMac compatable, what brand and model please. I have a 20" iMac with version 10.4.11 Tiger OS. Your help is greatly appreciated.
stemo99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2008, 06:02 AM   #2
robbieduncan

If have a TomTom 720 Go. The supplied CD had Mac compatible software on it. I'm running Leopard, but I think it supports Tiger too...
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2008, 10:09 AM   #3
JNB
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to JNB
No GPS is actually Mac (or PC) compatible, it's the included mapping software and ability to upload/download to the unit. In that sense, It really doesn't matter, as most better units today are pre-loaded. Mine is seen as USB storage, just upload routes/POI's, etc. into the proper folder.

For the included software, Garmin's is Mac compatible as well. I can't speak to Magellan. For combined cage-MC use, the Garmin Zumo 550 is a terrific choice, I use one almost daily, and it's the best GPS I've owned thus far. I generally advise against TomTom if you're in the States, the basemaps & routing algorithms are generally inferior to Garmin's here. If you're in Europe/Asia, then TomTom is the preferred choice, as Garmin's basemaps are not as good as TomTom's there.

JNB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008, 06:42 AM   #4
twig
macrumors member

You might want to avoid Magellan. I've got a Magellan eXplorist, and while it is technically Mac-compatible, this only extends to the ability to connect the GPS via USB to a Mac and to upload and download points & tracks. The Mapsend software that allows you to upload detailed topo maps, etc. to the GPS unit is not Mac compatible, and I found the software to be rather cumbersome to use. The GPS unit itself is good, but without decent, Mac-compatible software, it's pretty limited in its functionality.
Old May 31, 2008, 01:47 PM   #5
SteveS1
macrumors newbie

Are you saying you can have all functions of Zumo on mac?

I have just changed to iMac and am using Parallels Virtual Windowsxp, having trouble getting Zumo to connect with Mapsource in windows. Are you saying I can perform all functions (mapping, upload/download) just by using IMAC DIRECT VIS USB?

Thanks

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNotBeatle View Post
No GPS is actually Mac (or PC) compatible, it's the included mapping software and ability to upload/download to the unit. In that sense, It really doesn't matter, as most better units today are pre-loaded. Mine is seen as USB storage, just upload routes/POI's, etc. into the proper folder.

For the included software, Garmin's is Mac compatible as well. I can't speak to Magellan. For combined cage-MC use, the Garmin Zumo 550 is a terrific choice, I use one almost daily, and it's the best GPS I've owned thus far. I generally advise against TomTom if you're in the States, the basemaps & routing algorithms are generally inferior to Garmin's here. If you're in Europe/Asia, then TomTom is the preferred choice, as Garmin's basemaps are not as good as TomTom's there.
SteveS1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2008, 02:04 PM   #6
kkat69
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieduncan View Post
If have a TomTom 720 Go. The supplied CD had Mac compatible software on it. I'm running Leopard, but I think it supports Tiger too...
There's also some freeware on Apple's download section specifically for TomTom's. Not sure what models are supported but it looks promising.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac