Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old May 25, 2008, 07:10 AM   #1
frosse
macrumors 6502a

Unlock without jailbreak possible?

I'm planning on importing the new [3G] iPhone from the US and unlock it but I dont want to install any other programs. Is it possible to unlock it without jailbreaking it? Or does simply jailbreaking mean unlocking it?

If I unlock it, and there's a new firmware released (2.1, 2.2...), do I have to wait until there's a hacked version of that firmware?

Do I miss any functionality or features if I unlock it?

I live in Sweden where the iphone has yet to be released, is the Apple world wide guarantee valid with an unlocked phone?
frosse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2008, 07:24 AM   #2
Tallest Skil
Banned

You can't unlock without jailbreaking.

Yes.

You gain features by unlocking/jailbreaking. Visual voicemail isn't worth it.

I... don't know.
Tallest Skil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2008, 08:01 AM   #3
frosse
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
You can't unlock without jailbreaking.

Yes.

You gain features by unlocking/jailbreaking. Visual voicemail isn't worth it.

I... don't know.
What do I gain exactly?
Old May 25, 2008, 11:03 AM   #4
igglepuff
macrumors regular

you can install 3rd party, none apple 'approved' apps. Most a fun random thing, however, there are a few usefull tools. SwirlyMMS, for example, adds MMS functionality to your phone, which isnt offered by apple/iphone (with out this 3rd party app)
igglepuff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2008, 12:01 PM   #5
onlycopunk
macrumors 6502

You HAVE to jailbreak to unlock the phone. But with the Pwnage tool, once it's unlocked you can then make a new firmware without Installer or any thrills and it will look just like an unjailbroken phone, only it will be unlocked.
onlycopunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2008, 01:03 PM   #6
frosse
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by igglepuff View Post
you can install 3rd party, none apple 'approved' apps. Most a fun random thing, however, there are a few usefull tools. SwirlyMMS, for example, adds MMS functionality to your phone, which isnt offered by apple/iphone (with out this 3rd party app)
My brother has jailbreaked his touch and added like tons of apps, mostly games though. About MMS have never used it so I dont care but are there any other useful apps/tools? I have yet to touch my touch regarding jailbreaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlycopunk View Post
You HAVE to jailbreak to unlock the phone. But with the Pwnage tool, once it's unlocked you can then make a new firmware without Installer or any thrills and it will look just like an unjailbroken phone, only it will be unlocked.
Oh, so with Pwnage Tool my iphone will be jailbreaked "on the paper" but no installer and I can install new unhacked firmwares released by Apple?

That would be the bomb.
Old May 25, 2008, 01:49 PM   #7
onlycopunk
macrumors 6502

No you still have to use custom firmwares. But you can just make it appear as if your phone is not jailbroken.
Old May 25, 2008, 02:03 PM   #8
frosse
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
No you still have to use custom firmwares. But you can just make it appear as if your phone is not jailbroken.
Oh, so there isnt a tools that enables me to use non hacked firmware updates, as of now?
Old May 25, 2008, 04:28 PM   #9
onlycopunk
macrumors 6502

No there is not. If 2.0 comes out and your phone is unlocked you have to wait for it to be hacked. You wont be able to just click update or you run the risk of a brick.
Old May 26, 2008, 01:33 AM   #10
frosse
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
No there is not. If 2.0 comes out and your phone is unlocked you have to wait for it to be hacked. You wont be able to just click update or you run the risk of a brick.
I see. How long does it usually take before a new FW is hacked? 1 week? 1 month?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks