Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danyak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2003
Finder says the item is being used by another task. try again when task is complete. There is nothing runnning and it has been on my desk top for weeks with several tries to delete it. ANy help would be greatly appreciated. Oh yea its a pdf.sit file and when I try to open it it says error has occured while expanding. Archive may contain damaged content. error #17538 but that doesn't matter anyways as I just want to delete it. Thanks in advance.
Dan:eek:

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Boot up into OS9 if you can and trash the little bastard from there.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Originally posted by iDean
rm -rf pdf.sit
FYI: The -r flag is only needed for directories when one wants to recursively remove all files and subdirectories in the specified hierarchy.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
nothing like using the command line to kill the occasional stubborn app or remove files. rm filename should do the trick.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
I'm not all too familiar with removing files via the terminal but I do understand that if you're not all too sure what you're doing you can do some serious damage. I think sometimes, while the advice is with good intention, is not very helpful when dealing with someone who's accustomed to a GUI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.