Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
How do I sync the contents of say, the desktop and documents folders between my Mac Pro and Macbook Pro so the same files are always on both? I only want to do this over the local network because these folders are enormous and I need the syncing done fast. Any ideas?

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
Very interesting, but it looks a bit complex. I need something that sort of works in the background behind the scenes, without cluttering up my desktop.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
It's no more difficult in use than any other backup application, and once set up will just get on with it dependent on the schedule you set.

If you just wanted to overwrite one folder with another, it would be a different matter, but a two-way sync is that little bit trickier to do...

adijay

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2009
Hi there guys!! I thin what you whant to do is the same as I do. Basically you want a system just like Dropbox but instead of syncronize the files to a server outside your house you want it within your personal network, so that anytime you make a change on one of the folders (if you're conected to the network) it will automatically sync only the changes (instead of copying the whole folder every time) wich reveals itself much more time and patience saving!

Well I've been trying some programs betweenmy 2,0Ghz C2D MacBook Aluminum with Mac OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard and my 400MHz G3 Graphite iMac (but with a 120 Gb HD) with Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger (EHEHEHEH)well if some have some ideaplease post it!! I'll keep on trying.

The only thing I can suggest you now is an app called Synk (v. 6 for Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) and above or 5.2.4 for 10.3(Panther) or under)

Synk v.5

Synk v.6

I haven't tried this one yep but what I've heard was that on v.6 the backup package (minimum one) is free for students. But it is an unconfirmed information so look a little bit further on that subject if you're interested

Huggs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.