Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old May 26, 2008, 12:06 PM   #1
nofear23
macrumors newbie

No sound when using webcam

I have a powerbook g4 and 10.5.2 leopard OS.

I just bought 2 logitech pro 9000 webcams for me and my gf. I have a mac and she has a PC. The webcam has a built in microphone and my gf is able to hear me talking through the mic of my webcam. But, when she tries to talk to me, I get nothing. Nothing comes out of my internal speakers or external speakers. I went through every settings menu from skype to user preferences to try to change something and nothing works.

any advice?
nofear23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008, 01:15 PM   #2
merl1n
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear23 View Post
I have a powerbook g4 and 10.5.2 leopard OS.

I just bought 2 logitech pro 9000 webcams for me and my gf. I have a mac and she has a PC. The webcam has a built in microphone and my gf is able to hear me talking through the mic of my webcam. But, when she tries to talk to me, I get nothing. Nothing comes out of my internal speakers or external speakers. I went through every settings menu from skype to user preferences to try to change something and nothing works.

any advice?
Go to System Prefs -> Sound. Click the "Input" tab. Select your webcam.
Close the window. That's it.
Old May 26, 2008, 01:16 PM   #3
merl1n
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by merl1n View Post
Go to System Prefs -> Sound. Click the "Input" tab. Select your webcam.
Close the window. That's it.
Sorry, I misread your post. If she has a PC, did you install the drivers for the webcam?
Old May 26, 2008, 01:43 PM   #4
nofear23
macrumors newbie

yes, she has installed the drivers and everything for the webcam.

as for me, I have the input selecting logitech webcam. I still get no incoming sound from her when she talks into the mic. however, i can hear the ringing noise when i call her or she calls me...but nothing from her mic.
Old May 26, 2008, 01:55 PM   #5
merl1n
macrumors 65816

Quote:
yes, she has installed the drivers and everything for the webcam.

as for me, I have the input selecting logitech webcam. I still get no incoming sound from her when she talks into the mic. however, i can hear the ringing noise when i call her or she calls me...but nothing from her mic.
I don't think her mic is working. Are you sure the webcam is configured correctly on Windows? Doesn't Logitech have some other software to install and configure it? Did you try swapping webcams with her to see if her webcam functions correctly on your Mac?
Old May 26, 2008, 02:02 PM   #6
nofear23
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I don't think her mic is working. Are you sure the webcam is configured correctly on Windows? Doesn't Logitech have some other software to install and configure it? Did you try swapping webcams with her to see if her webcam functions correctly on your Mac?
her brother has a webcam and she is going to call him soon and see if its coming from her end. I will let you know the results.
Old May 26, 2008, 02:07 PM   #7
merl1n
macrumors 65816

Quote:
her brother has a webcam and she is going to call him soon and see if its coming from her end. I will let you know the results.
Just a stab in the dark...

You have your webcam configured as your input device in Sound Preferences. What do you have configured for the output device?
Old May 26, 2008, 02:27 PM   #8
nofear23
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Just a stab in the dark...

You have your webcam configured as your input device in Sound Preferences. What do you have configured for the output device?
I have it set to built-in audio headphones. I use that port for my external speakers. it always works for my itunes, playing videos online, etc., except for this. maybe it is on her end.
Old May 26, 2008, 02:38 PM   #9
merl1n
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I have it set to built-in audio headphones. I use that port for my external speakers. it always works for my itunes, playing videos online, etc., except for this. maybe it is on her end.
The problem is definitely on her end (although I never used skype and wouldn't know how to configure it).

I still think that you should swap webcams with her just to make sure her webcam is not defective. If it works fine on your Mac, then it is a problem in her Windows configuration for the webcam.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro