Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thereturn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Hi there. I recently bought a macbook to record on garageband. Me and my friend are looking to record guitar, bass and vocals. I have spent a fair bit buying the mac and am now looking to get a soundcard with pre-amp. Unfortunately because we have spent so much in getting mac we have little money left for soundcard (roughly 180 euro). I have been looking on some sites today and see that the m-audio fast track usb and Mackie Onyx Sattelite have both been recommended. Anyone any experience of either of these or care to recommend a product. Really a bit clueless so any help would be greatly appreciated. We have a sennheiser e835 mic which is really a mic for vocals but will have to do for time being.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
I strongly recommend Alesis' MultiMix Firewire mixers - they're absolutely brilliant.

They allow you to record each channel individually, and give you the functionality of systems costing many times more, and still produce a far more than acceptable sound, in fact they sound rather fantastic given the cost...

Make sure you get the Firewire version, NOT the USB version...

thereturn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Thanks for the recommendation. At 280 euro ALESIS MULTIMIX 8 FIREWIRE is a little out of my price range. Could stretch it I suppose but would want to be sure it would be worth it. Anyone any other recommendations? Anyone any experience of using m-audio fast track usb or Mackie Onyx Satellite?

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Believe me, it's well worth it.

I have the 16 channel version, it's so good my director of music is looking at getting one for mobile recording.

Believe me, one of the best bits of kit you'll ever buy. Offers so much more over other interfaces I've seen/used/had.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.