Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old May 26, 2008, 04:58 PM   #1
smitty8234
macrumors newbie

My powerbook won't locate my network at home, while other computers do.

I have a Powerbook and when I'm at home I cannot locate/connect to my home's local network (airport express). Both my parents have Macbooks and they connect with out any problem. It's frustrating since I am able to locate to all the networks in my neighborhood, but not the one in my house. Any suggestions?
smitty8234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008, 06:04 PM   #2
varmit
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty8234 View Post
I have a Powerbook and when I'm at home I cannot locate/connect to my home's local network (airport express). Both my parents have Macbooks and they connect with out any problem. It's frustrating since I am able to locate to all the networks in my neighborhood, but not the one in my house. Any suggestions?
Did they turn off the broadcasting of the SSID so that you and others close by can't find it. Its a weak security feature in the wireless router to not broadcast its name.

Try this program, it should show all the networks in the area and if you home one doesn't show up but the others do then you might need to move closer to the access point, or the SSID broadcast could be turned off. http://www.macstumbler.com/

If you know the name of the wireless access point you can input it and you should get connected. If you have the Wireless connection in the bar at the top, choose Join Other Network, and type in the name to connect.

Last edited by varmit; May 26, 2008 at 06:10 PM.
varmit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 04:13 PM   #3
smitty8234
macrumors newbie

Thats the issue. I know the network at the house is not closed. My brother can bring in his Macbook and pick up the network right away.

I have also tried to locate the network, by "joining another network" via the network preferences and typing in the name and password. All i get is a connection timeout.

Any thought?

Thanks.
smitty8234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs