Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smitty8234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2008
I have a Powerbook and when I'm at home I cannot locate/connect to my home's local network (airport express). Both my parents have Macbooks and they connect with out any problem. It's frustrating since I am able to locate to all the networks in my neighborhood, but not the one in my house. Any suggestions?

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
I have a Powerbook and when I'm at home I cannot locate/connect to my home's local network (airport express). Both my parents have Macbooks and they connect with out any problem. It's frustrating since I am able to locate to all the networks in my neighborhood, but not the one in my house. Any suggestions?
Did they turn off the broadcasting of the SSID so that you and others close by can't find it. Its a weak security feature in the wireless router to not broadcast its name.

Try this program, it should show all the networks in the area and if you home one doesn't show up but the others do then you might need to move closer to the access point, or the SSID broadcast could be turned off. http://www.macstumbler.com/

If you know the name of the wireless access point you can input it and you should get connected. If you have the Wireless connection in the bar at the top, choose Join Other Network, and type in the name to connect.

smitty8234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Thats the issue. I know the network at the house is not closed. My brother can bring in his Macbook and pick up the network right away.

I have also tried to locate the network, by "joining another network" via the network preferences and typing in the name and password. All i get is a connection timeout.

Any thought?

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.