Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

altaprod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2006
California
I just did one of those speed tests to see how fast my internet connection is but I'm confused a little. In the first picture I posted it shows : Download of 5224 kb/s and Upload of 460 kb/s.

3 questions:
1) Is that fast, normal or slow generally speaking?
2) Is that great, average, or below adequate for Skype video calls?
3) How does 5224 kb/s correlate with the "6m x 512k" advertisement from ATT RoadRunner in the second picture?

I'm trying to determine what that speed is compared to my test and I don't really know what kb/s is. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 1,712
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 1,726

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I just did one of those speed tests to see how fast my internet connection is but I'm confused a little. In the first picture I posted it shows : Download of 5224 kb/s and Upload of 460 kb/s.

3 questions:
1) Is that fast, normal or slow generally speaking?
2) Is that great, average, or below adequate for Skype video calls?
3) How does 5224 kb/s correlate with the "6m x 512k" advertisement from ATT RoadRunner in the second picture?

I'm trying to determine what that speed is compared to my test and I don't really know what kb/s is. Thanks for any help.

hey man, ill try to answer as basically as possible.

1) that is quite average.
2) that is quite average for a skype call. me and my gf can skype on 256kbps download/64kbps upload.
3) i have no idea i have never come across this in my country. EDIT: actually.. if you multiply 768 by 7 (taken from that 2nd picture) you get 5376..that is the MAXIUM download speed you can get, you are getting 5224. therefore it can be said that your extremely close to the exchange (the further away the more latency, the more latency the more loss of data) normal latency is about 5%, your under that bracket so yea, thats a big +

the basic idea here is that the first number (5224kbps) is how fast you can download things to your computer (i.e. receive video/audio. uploading at 460kbps is how fast you can send things from your computer (i.e. send your video/audio).

altaprod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2006
California
I just tried Japan to America

the number changed a lot, as you can see below. I guess it's still OK for video Skyping.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 1,698
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.