Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 27, 2008, 07:13 AM   #1
slug420
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2007
Clipboard history in OS X?

just a shot in the dark here but...does OSX maintain any sort of clipboard history (similar to what Microsoft Word offers)?

Basically I copied something to clipboard and pasted it, then copied something else and pasted it but I am wondering if there is any way to retrieve the first item I copied to clipboard?

Thanks
slug420 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 07:19 AM   #2
mac2mac
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UK
There are a couple of third party apps that do this well -
http://jumpcut.sourceforge.net/
http://inventive.us/iCliplite/
mac2mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 07:23 AM   #3
slug420
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2007
Thanks. I would need ot have had those installed in advance to make use of this history correct?

in my case I am trying to retrieve data I already "lost"....I am out of luck right?
slug420 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 07:30 AM   #4
mac2mac
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UK
Don't know how to recover anything that you have lost already from the clipboard. Doubt you will be able to recover anything but i would install those apps so it doesn't happen again
mac2mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 07:33 AM   #5
slug420
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2007
roger that

maybe a hex editor to look through memory....5 gigs of RAM...that would be fun.
slug420 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 07:36 AM   #6
Switz213
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2008
Get QuickSilver.

Its a great app to begin with. Comes with a window with your clipboard history. You can even drag it to the side of a window and it will hide there, similar to the dock.
Switz213 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 11:05 AM   #7
operator207
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switz213 View Post
Get QuickSilver.

Its a great app to begin with. Comes with a window with your clipboard history. You can even drag it to the side of a window and it will hide there, similar to the dock.
+1 to Quicksilver. Just do not set the clipboard to remember more than 50 entries. If I go more than 50 entries, varies depending on how big the entry that I am copying is, it tends to slow Quicksilver way down, which can slow other things down.
operator207 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 11:52 AM   #8
G-Com
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North of The 'Nati
I use Clipper.
__________________
Gloria in te Domine
G-Com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 07:12 AM   #9
andyosira
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by slug420 View Post
just a shot in the dark here but...does OSX maintain any sort of clipboard history (similar to what Microsoft Word offers)?

Basically I copied something to clipboard and pasted it, then copied something else and pasted it but I am wondering if there is any way to retrieve the first item I copied to clipboard?

Thanks
there is a simple way to do all this - using Mail in leopard or snow, if you are writing any text into an email, then all along the app is backing it up - to find that clipboard bit you dropped three cut and pastes ago just dig through the trashes (there will be hundreds of versions of the email as it saves every minute or so) or just search for one or two of the words you know will be within the text - works like a dream ....
furthermore assuming you have that particular account set to not delete mail in trash until a month has past you can go back a long long way !! - make it IMAP and the same will be true on your mail servers too ...
so in the unlikely event that it was a well thought out email you trashed the other day, GET DIGGIN in that trash bin - good luck !
andyosira is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 08:04 AM   #10
Gregg2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by slug420 View Post
Thanks. I would need ot have had those installed in advance to make use of this history correct?

in my case I am trying to retrieve data I already "lost"....I am out of luck right?
Right.
Another clip board recorder is CopyPaste Pro
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 12:27 AM   #11
Switz213
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2008
Wow, thanks for reviving a year old thread
__________________
iPhone 4 - 32GB
MacBook Pro 15" - 2.8 ghz, 500 GB 7200 RPM.
iPad - 64 GB
Mac User since Day One.
Switz213 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 07:53 AM   #12
Gregg2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI
I didn't notice that. Good eye!
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 06:51 PM   #13
cgrendy3
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switz213 View Post
Wow, thanks for reviving a year old thread
*** OKay... now it's an even OLDER thread... but, I have the same question. ***

OOPS... I 'copied' over a previous 'copy' of necessary info I left on my clipboard... any hope I can retreive that older info? Has the Mac OS changed in the past, uh, three years?

I have a MacBook Pro--late 2009--still running Leopard (OS 10.5.8) and I never thought to add an app that could keep track of my clipboard history (duh) until I found this thread...

I'm assuming I'm scrwed, but, doesn't hurt to ask, eh? AND, I WILL add a clipboard history app after today--any new suggestions?

Thanks all!! Cindy
cgrendy3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:48 PM   #14
Gregg2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrendy3 View Post

I'm assuming I'm scrwed, but, doesn't hurt to ask, eh?
Yes, and no.
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 07:38 PM   #15
EKV
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Recover Mail clipboard history

Can you tell me where I go to look at the clipboard history in Mail. I cut content of an email, pasted it to a document in Pages, changed my mind closed the doc without saving went back to my email went to past it back and oooppps I had placed something else on the clipboard - my message content is GONE ..If what you say here works - I will be elated - just don't know where to go to look at all the email saves or clipboard history.. Please help


Quote:
Originally Posted by andyosira View Post
there is a simple way to do all this - using Mail in leopard or snow, if you are writing any text into an email, then all along the app is backing it up - to find that clipboard bit you dropped three cut and pastes ago just dig through the trashes (there will be hundreds of versions of the email as it saves every minute or so) or just search for one or two of the words you know will be within the text - works like a dream ....
furthermore assuming you have that particular account set to not delete mail in trash until a month has past you can go back a long long way !! - make it IMAP and the same will be true on your mail servers too ...
so in the unlikely event that it was a well thought out email you trashed the other day, GET DIGGIN in that trash bin - good luck !
EKV is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:11 AM   #16
Hello little
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Hi Slug420, I see you've posted a bit about retrieving past clipboard entries. I f###d up and some how lost some things 4/5 &4/6 that I had copied briefly to my clipboard to paste into word for word count info. Can I see those clips? I have done little cutting and pasting since then. See Clyppan, jump cut, ClipMenu & inventive.us/cliplite, but cannot tell if they can access history prior to installation or only going forward. Any thoughts you have would be most helpful. Am running OXS Lion. Best, elizabeth.@earthlink.net thank you
Hello little is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 09:54 AM   #17
old-wiz
macrumors 604
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: West Suburban Boston Ma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello little View Post
Hi Slug420, I see you've posted a bit about retrieving past clipboard entries. I f###d up and some how lost some things 4/5 &4/6 that I had copied briefly to my clipboard to paste into word for word count info. Can I see those clips? I have done little cutting and pasting since then. See Clyppan, jump cut, ClipMenu & inventive.us/cliplite, but cannot tell if they can access history prior to installation or only going forward. Any thoughts you have would be most helpful. Am running OXS Lion. Best, elizabeth.@earthlink.net thank you
None of the applications like clyppan can retrieve anything from the clipboard prior to installation. OSx does not keep a clipboard history.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:12 PM   #18
Lucky736
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: TX or MI
Send a message via AIM to Lucky736 Send a message via Yahoo to Lucky736
Anyone ever find a way to goto the history? I am not in a good spot right now.
Lucky736 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:33 PM   #19
LeandrodaFL
macrumors 6502a
 
LeandrodaFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Please disregard my post, I mistaken ClipGrab for Clipboard.
LeandrodaFL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:39 AM   #20
toadc69
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: S. Cal
In the same boat myself

Web forms are a B*tch! I was writing a recommendation and had it copied to clipboard, but neglected to paste it somewhere. The copied a single word and " Oh no!"

I usually would paste into the very handy and free app "Notational Velocity"
this has replaced "stickies"as a note place holder , text organizer. It allows password protection of my notes, plus syncing w/ my phone and a place to locally save text I often copy/paste around.


But this time, I neglected to follow my own advice and must face the painful results!

great thread, btw!
toadc69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 08:03 PM   #21
rootbeerinacan
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switz213 View Post
Wow, thanks for reviving a year old thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrendy3 View Post
*** OKay... now it's an even OLDER thread... but, I have the same question. ***
I'm disappointed to lose 1000 clipped words, but happy to breathe life into this old thread at least one more time.
rootbeerinacan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 09:48 AM   #22
gayle28607
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
I use Notational Velocity, and just did the same stupid thing - copied one word over my clipboard copy of a long webform text.

Still no way to access clipboard history without an app installed?

If so, what app should I install in 2013? I read the recommendations from years ago...
gayle28607 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 06:30 PM   #23
old-wiz
macrumors 604
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: West Suburban Boston Ma
Quote:
Originally Posted by gayle28607 View Post
I use Notational Velocity, and just did the same stupid thing - copied one word over my clipboard copy of a long webform text.

Still no way to access clipboard history without an app installed?

If so, what app should I install in 2013? I read the recommendations from years ago...
there is no way to access clipboard history without an app previously installed and active.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2013, 04:52 AM   #24
rose2020
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Jumpcut does show the clipboard history before installation.

As far as i experienced, Jumpcut does show the clipboard history before installation.
rose2020 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2013, 06:48 AM   #25
mikelliott
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
I like CutPastePro, but what can I use on my Win 7 laptop. Don't use it much because it's not a Mac, but comes in handy every so often.
mikelliott is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
+Clipboard - Simplistic clipboard ResonanceL iPad Apps 1 Apr 24, 2014 10:10 PM
Does Time Machine keep Safari history if Safari set to automatically delete history? Siderz Mac Basics and Help 1 Feb 2, 2014 02:48 PM
best Clipboard history app for Mavericks malch Mac Applications and Mac App Store 10 Nov 19, 2013 05:15 PM
Safari knows history even after deleting history spacemnspiff iOS 7 2 Oct 12, 2013 01:05 AM
What didn't they teach you in history? Or, what Japanese history lessons leave out. jnpy!$4g3cwk Politics, Religion, Social Issues 50 Mar 26, 2013 10:44 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC