Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old May 27, 2008, 08:54 AM   #1
LowMach
macrumors member

should i purchase applecare for my macbook?

to applecare or not?

hi all- my macbook ends its limited warranty period as of june 6 2008. the macbook has been used a lot and has 120 cycles on the battery with no real troubles. BTW: i have upgraded the HD and RAM. i do plan to keep the machine for another year or two, so my questions are

should I buy the applecare extended warranty?

anyone ever purchase a applecare warranty from ebay?

my macbook looks used as well with a off kilter screen, scars on every corner, so would apple just deem my machine abused or my troubles self inflicted and not honor any repairs anyways?

I don't sweat memory issues with the HD or RAM, but the screen and motherboard are the big concerns.

anyone know if i can adjust my screen hinges or something, so its not off kilter when closed?

thanks for any input.
-Low
LowMach is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 09:02 AM   #2
SamoanDude
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to SamoanDude
Yes, I buy Apple Care for all my products and have had to use it on just about every one of them. They even replaced my last gen iMac with an aluminum one!

I would not own an Apple computer without it
SamoanDude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 09:09 AM   #3
flopticalcube
macrumors G4

If it gives you extra peace of mind, buy AppleCare. I bought it for my MacBook off of eBay for $150 and it registered fine. I would not have paid more for it, however.
Old May 27, 2008, 09:23 AM   #4
velocityg4
macrumors 68040

Personally, I never recommend extended warranties unless the product has had several problems during the standard warranty period. Though others will be sure to chime in with horror stories. Of the 13-14 Macs I have owned over the years none needed a repair that cost as much as the warranty.

Many people here have purchase Applecare off eBay. So if you want it go for it just make sure the seller is reputable.

As for the damage I could not say without pictures. A picture is worth a thousand words. Some scars to one person may be extraordinary damage to others.

As for adjusting the hinges I do not know you can see if anything shows on www.ifixit.com here is a Macbook Guide it is probably pretty much the same with all macbooks.
velocityg4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 09:42 AM   #5
scienide09
macrumors 65816

For a portable, I think it's worth the piece of mind. Repairs are expensive if something goes wrong.
Old May 27, 2008, 09:48 AM   #6
danny_w
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by scienide09 View Post
For a portable, I think it's worth the piece of mind. Repairs are expensive if something goes wrong.
Ditto. I just bought Applecare from eBay for $165 and it worked just fine.
Old May 27, 2008, 10:21 AM   #7
Bobioden
macrumors 65816

I got mine for $140 off eBay.
iPad Mini Retina 32GB Gray
Bobioden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 12:53 PM   #8
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SFStateStudent Send a message via Yahoo to SFStateStudent Send a message via Skype™ to SFStateStudent
I would purchase it for all my Macs. Even my iPhone, has its own AppleCare. By the time 3-years of coverage is up on my Macs, I'm willing to pay "full-pop" on my new Mac.
Old May 27, 2008, 02:58 PM   #9
Nevpaurion
macrumors regular

In all honesty by the time I had saved enough money for my macbook, I didn't have nearly enough for their warranty. I think apple has probably the most expensive warranty I've ever seen to be honest. All in all it's great to have if you can afford it, but if you're the least bit tech savvy, treat your machine right, there shouldn't be any crippling problems with it until right about the time apple care waves bye bye.
Nevpaurion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 03:52 PM   #10
Samwise592
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Samwise592
my warranty expired a few weeks ago without me even thinking about it... i could have purchased apple care, and when i realized i was out of warranty, i almost wished i had... but it is very expensive, and i can't see my wonderful macbook having any problems in the near future.

All in all if you are gonna take decent care of your computer and know your way around it fairly well, I don't think it's really nescessary
Old May 27, 2008, 04:08 PM   #11
LowMach
macrumors member

thanks for all the replies.

that ifixit link was great! i can get new hinges if needed..

the scars are not that noticeable. you have to look pretty close at the corners to see them.

i see both sides are coming in. tough decision this is. with the price of a logic board or display failure(about $400 each). i'm leaning towards the purchase of the applecare warranty off ebay. i have just a couple days to decide. if i had no warrant and the display or logic board failed then i would probably just get a new unit. uhm. the cost of the warranty could go towards the parts if needed. peace of mind sounds nice though and the warranty may assure nothing goes wrong. hahahaha. i'm back on the fence. sorry for rambling on...

i have never needed apple service on my notebook, but the service was outstanding on my iphone when needed.

thanks again for your opinions
-low
LowMach is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 05:58 PM   #12
flopticalcube
macrumors G4

Don't forget you have to register the warranty before your 1 year is up. If you buy it on eBay, they usually email you the code within a few minutes of you paying.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook