Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Adobe announced that public betas of the CS4 version of Dreamweaver, Fireworks and Soundbooth are now available at Adobe labs. While the downloads are publicly available, only existing CS3 owners will be able to use the beta software beyond an initial 48 hour window.
The Dreamweaver beta for Web design and development, the Fireworks beta for prototyping, and the Soundbooth beta for audio creating and editing, demonstrate the direction that Adobe Creative Suite is taking with features and technologies that will simplify and streamline design and development workflows across all media. The betas also offer users the opportunity to give Adobe feedback for further product development.
Adobe lists the new features included in each beta on their respective pages: Dreamweaver CS4, Fireworks CS4, Soundbooth CS4.

Article Link

ert3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2007
So I bend over the table and your going to do what to make my future experience better?

Greenbook

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2008
Australia
Do the close, minimise and zoom buttons really look like this?

fireworkscs4_557x232.jpg

TheCoffeeBoy

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
I still don't think we will see CS4 until Q4 at the earliest. I've been watching and reading a lot about Adobe's plans for CS4 and even with this release it seems as if they're still a long way off.

The added integration features for Dreamweaver are nice though, hope they roll these out across the board for all CS4 applications. It's good to see it actually got an update this time instead of just a glossing over.

macam

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2005
Greater London, UK
Cs4?!

My frickin' CS3 (PS & ID) won't work on Leopard 10.5.2 on my PBG4!!!!! (1.67 last iteration of the PBG4)

I have had to load it on an old eMac I had kickin' around to do some work!!!!
What the hell is this supposed to mean? Does this mean that Adobe have completely ignored fixing CS3 for Leopard? Am I going to have to wait until Q4 to ever do work on my laptop again!?!??!?!!?:mad::mad::mad::mad:

highly highly irritated by this.

fowler.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2004
Pasadena
good work Adobe. yet again, you've decided to not update the UI for dreamweaver, leaving it the same as it was almost 8 years ago.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
Do the close, minimise and zoom buttons really look like this?

fireworkscs4_557x232.jpg

1st reaction: Eewww!
2nd reaction: Well, those are all graphic and creativity oriented apps so keeping colorful visual distractions to a minimum is a good idea. Even Apple's pro apps follow that paradigm and have monochrome window buttons. I imagine the colored window buttons would be very distracting if you're working on a black and white picture in photoshop.

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Null
Downloading Dreamweaver CS4 now, let's see if they fixed the mess that is Dreamweaver CS3. Looks like they're using Webkit as the editor rendering engine.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
1st reaction: Eewww!
2nd reaction: Well, those are all graphic and creativity oriented apps so keeping colorful visual distractions to a minimum is a good idea. Even Apple's pro apps follow that paradigm and have monochrome window buttons. I imagine the colored window buttons would be very distracting if you're working on a black and white picture in photoshop.

(Why can't I edit my last post?)

Note the toolbar icons right next to the window buttons. This saves screen real estate in a nice way.

mr.iso

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2003
I'm still pissed off that Adobe killed ImageReady in CS3. It's the reason I didn't upgrade from PS CS2 yet...I'd have to upgrade to Photoshop CS3 and buy Fireworks. There should be a dual upgrade path for it or something, where for 50 bucks more you get PS CS3 and FW CS3.

aaaarrrggg.

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
I don't know if it is worth it....

Photoshop CS3 Beta was great to use and was really fun and all but when I went to install the CS3 suite I had to reformat my drive because none of Adobe's uninstall techniques worked to pull all of the PS CS3 Beta info off of the drive.

Use at your own risk people! But I gotta say if Illustrator CS4 Beta came out I would jump all over it at first blush..... so go figure!
:D

thedommer

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
they killed image ready because they integrated most of it into CS3. I dont miss imageready one bit.

I cant believe people are complaining about adobe. they are light years ahead of anyone else out there in almost all their programs. sure they are not perfect and there are lots of issues but Im willing to deal with them. CS3 was a huge step forward. I hope CS4 is the same.

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
i've be quite excited to test out the new UI for Flash when that is released (assuming that too will loose it's old macromedia ui for something more user-friendly)

kitki83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2004
Los Angeles
OK, it seems that Adobe is launching new versions more often than just a few years. I still believe its way too soon to for a new release, and may cause people not to upgrade because CS3 was for Leopard, CS4 is for?(Problaly for the fixes).

Now for my rant
WTF is adobe coming out with new version every other year???!!! I am not upgrading its just more money burnt away for freelancers and small businesses not counting rise in gas prices and recession. Man everything is getting expensive.

I pray cs4 is a free upgrade for CS3 people.

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
... I cant believe people are complaining about adobe. they are light years ahead of anyone else out there in almost all their programs.
If you really believe this, then you must be a complete novice when it comes to software.

... sure ... there are lots of issues but Im willing to deal with them.
That's why folks like you are Adobe's favourite customers. ;)

...CS3 was a huge step forward. I hope CS4 is the same.
To most professionals who have used them, CS3 was an incremental, confusing, expensive and muddled update to CS2 (which itself was a hardly working POS.)

Personally, I think even if they fix all the bugs and (finally!) go with a cocoa code-base, it's still too soon for CS4 considering we all only recently sold our first born for CS3. Unless CS4 is both spectacular and about 50 to 75% cheaper, I think it's fairly outrageous that Adobe expects us to buy this software yet again.

If Pixelmator would offer a normal grey interface as well as the "cool" black one, I would switch tomorrow.

primalman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
at the end of the hall
My frickin' CS3 (PS & ID) won't work on Leopard 10.5.2 on my PBG4!!!!! (1.67 last iteration of the PBG4)

I have had to load it on an old eMac I had kickin' around to do some work!!!!
What the hell is this supposed to mean? Does this mean that Adobe have completely ignored fixing CS3 for Leopard? Am I going to have to wait until Q4 to ever do work on my laptop again!?!??!?!!?:mad::mad::mad::mad:

highly highly irritated by this.

You should not have to wait too long, as I have had CS3 working on my 17" PowerBook G4 1.67 since about 3 weeks after CS3 came out, and have been running Leopard since one week after it came out. No CS3 issues. Should not have to wait at all! I think you may have an issue that is not specifically CS3. Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.