Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 27, 2008, 10:42 AM   #1
jocab64
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Question sequencing movies for AppleTV

I've just recently converted my Harry Potter movies for use on my apple tv. I want to be able to have them displayed in order of release rather than by there names. Is this possible by editing the season or episode number tags in itunes?
jocab64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 10:49 AM   #2
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603
 
MacBoobsPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Send a message via AIM to MacBoobsPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocab64 View Post
I've just recently converted my Harry Potter movies for use on my apple tv. I want to be able to have them displayed in order of release rather than by there names. Is this possible by editing the season or episode number tags in itunes?
Not the most elegant way of doing it but I just put my series' as

Back To The Future I
Back To The Future II
Back To The Future III

Jaws I
Jaws II
Jaws III
Jaws IV

etc...

That way they appear in 'release' order. I guess with Harry Potter (if you want the full names to appear) you could call them:

Harry Potter I - 'whatever its called'
Harry Potter II - 'whatever its called'
etc...

As for a setting to change how they are displayed there is none.
MacBoobsPro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 11:46 AM   #3
ejbenjamin
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
You can display the proper names but order them in any way you want. Use the Sorting fields in the Get Info dialog box.
ejbenjamin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 11:54 AM   #4
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603
 
MacBoobsPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Send a message via AIM to MacBoobsPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejbenjamin View Post
You can display the proper names but order them in any way you want. Use the Sorting fields in the Get Info dialog box.
He means on the ATV not within iTunes.
MacBoobsPro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 12:19 PM   #5
jocab64
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Yes I was referring to how they display on the appletv. While not the most elegant solution, I will probably borrow your numbering scheme. Thanks for the idea.
jocab64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 01:52 PM   #6
ejbenjamin
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacboobsPro View Post
He means on the ATV not within iTunes.
It works on the ATV too.
ejbenjamin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 01:59 PM   #7
mallbritton
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejbenjamin View Post
It works on the ATV too.
Unfortunately it doesn't. The TV doesn't sort on all the fields the iTunes does.

Regards,
Michael
mallbritton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 03:58 PM   #8
Macsterling
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dallas
Send a message via AIM to Macsterling Send a message via MSN to Macsterling Send a message via Yahoo to Macsterling
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

actually it does appear that way on my Atv with the sorting issue when streaming. It streams just like I have it in iTunes.
__________________
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today
Macsterling is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 04:24 PM   #9
ejbenjamin
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
It works on synced movies for me, too. I sequence using the title sort fields, exactly as the OP wants.
ejbenjamin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 04:28 PM   #10
mallbritton
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Really? I've never been able to get the Indiana Jones movies, for example, to sort correctly on the TV. What tags are y'all using that does the trick?

Last edited by mallbritton; May 27, 2008 at 05:33 PM.
mallbritton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 04:52 PM   #11
jocab64
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2008
I'll have to give it a try when i get home tonight. I'm assuming you just put the number in the sorting title field?
jocab64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 05:57 PM   #12
ejbenjamin
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallbritton View Post
Really? I've never been able to get the Indiana Jones movies, for example, to sort correctly on the TV. What tags are y'all using that does the trick?
For the Indiana Jones movies, for example, you might enter "Raiders of the Lost Ark" in the Name field and "Indiana Jones 1" in the Sort Name field. Enter "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" in the Name field and "Indiana Jones 2" in the Sort Name field, and so on for Last Crusade.

In iTunes, Raiders will appear above Temple will appear above Crusade, when you sort by name. (Of course, if you sort by any other criteria, such as date added or year, they won't necessarily be in the order you want.)

I sync movies to the AppleTV and I have it display only synced content. In the My Movies menu, they would thus display as Raiders first, Temple second, Crusade third, the same as in iTunes.
ejbenjamin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 06:07 PM   #13
mallbritton
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Ah, now I see. That's a good tip I'll have to try when I get home. I had not tried that before.

Regards,
Michael
mallbritton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 08:48 PM   #14
mallbritton
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejbenjamin View Post
For the Indiana Jones movies, for example, you might enter "Raiders of the Lost Ark" in the Name field and "Indiana Jones 1" in the Sort Name field. Enter "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" in the Name field and "Indiana Jones 2" in the Sort Name field, and so on for Last Crusade.

In iTunes, Raiders will appear above Temple will appear above Crusade, when you sort by name. (Of course, if you sort by any other criteria, such as date added or year, they won't necessarily be in the order you want.)

I sync movies to the AppleTV and I have it display only synced content. In the My Movies menu, they would thus display as Raiders first, Temple second, Crusade third, the same as in iTunes.
So I was able to try this once I got home. Unfortunately this tip does not work for streamed content. Alas.

Regards,
Michael

Last edited by mallbritton; May 27, 2008 at 11:51 PM.
mallbritton is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lag playing movies to AppleTv questionwonder MacBook Air 0 Jan 23, 2014 02:48 PM
Stored Movies on iTunes/AppleTv ZeRoLiMiT Apple TV and Home Theater 3 Aug 29, 2013 03:55 PM
AppleTv Network Movies and Trailers ZeRoLiMiT Apple TV and Home Theater 0 Aug 21, 2013 09:13 AM
iTunes, rented movies, and AirPlay to appletv jmmo20 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Dec 1, 2012 03:50 PM
AppleTV iTunes movies section chenks Apple TV and Home Theater 4 Jul 14, 2012 01:42 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC